Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
bruno1950

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #8054
Surge Protector Story

Last night we pulled into a large RV Park in Tulsa. Plugged our 30 amp surge protector into shore power, watched a little tv and went to bed. About midnight the DW heard
the microwave beep a few times. She got up and noticed our shore power was out. Rather than wake me to go out and reset the breaker she let me sleep and went to bed. In the morning I went out to check things and the breaker at the camp power column had not tripped. Power was still going through the power cord. When I checked the connection on my rig I found the cord connection was welded to the plug. I removed the shore power connector from the RV . It had gotten so hot that it burned the insulation off the hot wire and had started burning through the plywood side of the rig. Luckily we are still alive to tell the story.
I went back to my surge guard and it was showing a reverse polarity at the camp connection. I called the manager and he told me it has always been that way. He said it was ok because the local power company had done the wiring.
Here’s my point. That guy is an idiot and the camp will probably kill somebody unless they fix things but I may be a bigger idiot for just plugging in as usual and not checking the reading on the surge protector. Be careful out there.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum