Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: New Toad
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2018, 05:03 PM   #20
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Test tow

Decide to take a little spin in the RV trying to see how much gas I can burn with an EV!? (I know--what??)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-06-16 08.55.10.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	10801
Waiting the required 2 minutes before disconnecting the 12V battery's negative power cable.

Name:	2018-06-16 08.55.03.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	10802
Yes an EV still has a 12V battery, and here is what it looks like under the hood (you can see I've added a knife disconnect switch on the battery at middle right).

Name:	2018-06-16 08.56.14.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	10803
All disconnected, on the dolly ready to go.

Name:	2018-06-16 08.56.26.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	10804
Lets go for a drive.

Taking it for a good 5 mile spin which included about 2 miles on the highway. All was well--it rode and tracked back there just as good as our other cars.

That is until about a mile away from the storage lot....BANG...bang bang bang... sigh. Turns out it wasn't the car--our newly replaced valve extension on the driver's side decided to let go. When I got back to the storage yard I discovered it flopping around in-between the two wheels with the end crushed (ok I'm now down one TPMS sensor...sigh). Fortunately the office at the storage lot was open. This will be taken care of on Monday (by which time the driver's side inner tire will be flat).

The other funny thing: Once the battery is disconnected and the car all locked up--there is only one way to get back in: You have to dig the key out of the fob and open the door the old fashioned way LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum