Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 03:17 PM   #71
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Its the black guy in this pic:

I looked it up, its one of these:
Products - Energy Management - Smart energy management systems - Automatic energy select switch

Datasheet:
http://www.intellitec.com/assets/pdf...-00714-000.pdf

Quote:
Intellitec’s Automatic Energy Select Switch (AESS) is designed to be used in RVs to share the power available from a single circuit breaker between two large loads. The AESS applies power to both appliances until the primary load is turned on. It then removes power from the secondary load to prevent the circuit breaker from being overloaded. This function is particularly useful for sharing power between the microwave oven and another “sheddable” or postpone-able appliance, such as the washer/dryer, or water heater. Typically, this function has performed with selector switches, forcing the owner to manually switch between the two appliances.
I think it is wired between "shore" power and the generator to automatically select the power source. I can't be sure though as I didn't trace the wires back. Just found it dangling there like in the picture so I secured it.
If you look at the reference page it says its good up to 20A. I should ask Thor for a 120V wiring diagram to see how its hooked up, and what for (although I'm past the 1 year warranty I wonder if they'd reply?).
The interesting thing is that its designed to "share the load" between two appliances; not switch two sources but I can see how it could be used for that.

Hmm elsewhere I'm seeing that its commonly used between the microwave and the water heater: When you turn on the microwave it cuts out the water heater so the total doesn't kill the breaker. Given its placement in our Axis--in that picture the water heater is right behind the furnace hose--that is a possible use for it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum