Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 04:04 PM   #14
EA37TS
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If/when plug-in hybrid vans make it to market, they will likely be first motorhomes to have an electric air conditioner compressor like is typical for hybrids, which means that the need for separate roof-mounted ACs may not be needed. With software revisions it should be possible to power the AC for extended periods from the batteries or from the built-in vehicle charger.

Since my van has factory dual AC I "briefly" thought of modifying it to run on 110 Volts and then adding a high-capacity alternator in place of the AC compressor, to end up with similar operation to E-Trek, except just one AC instead of two. I just couldn't justify the cost for all the modifications. However, if done that way initially from Ford factory it would be very affordable.
That alternator driven by a belt on the engine is drawing anywhere from 1 to 5 HP from the engine. This means the engine must run at higher RPMs to maintain the same speed over a given distance. The running at higher RPMs means the MPG rating on the vehicle decreases which has an impact on "Ford's" compliance with US Gov't CAFE standards. This means that Ford would have to find other efficiencies to maintain their compliance with the standards and those efficiencies may or may not be available. Since Ford does not design the body they cannot improve the aerodynamic characteristics of the vehicle. I guess they could install tires that have no grip and thereby reduce friction.

I would not assume Ford could do something more affordable. Government regulations in other areas may create a situation whereby what you are asking for is beyond reach.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum