Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 09:05 PM   #157
blw2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m curious why you’d want such a small roof-mounted unit? Is it so you can run off 30-Amp service or 4-kW generator at same time as your other A/C? I’ve though about it to run off Inverter overnight without need of generator, but battery cost is still too high for my taste.

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen specs for units that small (low capacity) marketed in Europe, but they run on 220-Volts. And surprisingly, some are so inefficient that they nearly use as much power as one of our 11,000 Power Savers. Beyond that I’m not certain if they use same opening size as we do in US.

With your A/C experience and engineering background, you may be able to modify an A/C to get what you want or need.
Several reasons, but yeah, primary is that it's a 30A rig..... yeah, I can run my AC on a 15A circuit...for a little while under good conditions..... so prob could run two 15kbtu units at 30A...but I wouldn't want those sort of limitations.

Other reasons....
I just don't think all that much more capacity is needed. I haven't actually sat down and dusted off my old HVAC design text book to calculate an estimated thermal building load.... I know it's big.... but for my needs where I am in the SE, this whole thing is really only a big problem a relatively small amount of the total time.... and I'm not full timing with it either.
There is actually a pretty big down side to having an AC system with too much capacity.
It's only really needed a small amount of the time
The idea is only to supplement the front AC by cooling down the bedroom.

I suppose an alternative idea might be to replace the 15Kbtu with something around about 20Kbtu or 22kbtu...but the 15k is enough much of the time.

and side note...yeas, by front nose cone is similar to that earlier photo showing the thin outer wall with no insulation... and the back wall where it's radius up to the roof is the same way. Quite a few areas that could be better insulated...would help with the road noise too....

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum