Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 10:43 PM   #14
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I was told the the AC will work on 15 amp but you might cause long term damage since it might have a surge higher than 20 amp and might need around 19.4 amps to run correctly?

So it will work (I tired it - sounds and feels normal) but longterm might cause damage? I dont do it anymore - I just installed a 30 amp RV plug in my garage ...

no, AMPS is not the issue - either your breaker will trip, or it won't...it's simple. The power will be enough to power it, but the breaker will determine if the WIRING is heavy enough to handle it. 'Normally', yes, a standard household 15amp outlet and breaker can easily handle the running of the air conditioner, but it's the initial compressor starting that could trip the breaker. If it does not, then you are probably just fine.

...as for the over-concern about air conditioner compressor, and life expectancy, that's more to do with VOLTS. If a park or campground has low voltage, the compressor will 'struggle' more... it's doubtful, though, that the 'stories' of ruining air conditioners because of low voltage is any big issue, at least compared to the number of stories people have been led to believe over the years.

I simply plug in. If things work, then they work, I don't worry anymore about it. If a breaker trips, then it's telling me that it can't handle the amount of items/amps I am trying to run thru it. I then cut back on those items, on that circuit.
If the tripped breaker is the one for the outlet the coach is plugged into, then that tells me that my 'total' amps are exceeding that outlet's breaker.

Some times other items are drawing power and they go unnoticed, such as the battery charger, TVs and devices that are plugged in, but not really turned 'on', satellite receivers, as they draw power even when not on, etc.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum