Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2018, 09:10 PM   #24
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprewitt View Post
Hi....I have a 2015 Chateau.....I used to plug in regularly to 110.....I replaced two sets (2 each) of house batteries that went bad in a very short time. When all of that was going on I was told I was damaging my house batteries by plugging in to 110… can anybody confirm or deny that? I would love to keep my unit plugged in to charge the batteries and be able to turn on the refrigerator/AC.
A poor quality converter can kill your batteries. If the converter isn't capable of holding a proper float voltage, or has too high of a bulk charge voltage, it can easily boil your batteries. Have you checked water levels, or noticed that you have to add a lot of water?

The WFCO converters that come standard in most Class C's and a lot of Class A's (and most trailers) are pretty cheap and are often cited as battery eaters. Harris Batteries, which is what most Thor non-diesel products come with, has a reputation for refusing to honor battery warranties. They say that the WFCO converters cause their batteries to fail. Thor acts like they don't know anything.

I had a trailer with a WFCO converter that killed a set of Interstate Batteries in a year. So when we got our ACE 30.1, I changed out the converter about the same time my Harris batteries died (less than 6 months). Progressive Dynamics make very good multi-stage converters (4 stages, vs the 2 stage of the WFCO) in formats for both as a slide in WFCO replacement and stand alone converters.

Since installing the Progressive Dynamics converter, I haven't had problems with losing water in Interstate 6 volt batteries with which I replaced the POS Harris batteries. You still need to check your water levels regularly as continuous charging at any voltage will tend to wear off battery water, but it won't boil them off in a few days.

Took less than an hour to swap the Progressive Dynamics for the WFCO. Only issue I had was that the 12VDC distribution board that came with the PD converter only had a 30 amp supply fuse, while my WFCO had 40 amp. PD told me I could continue to use the old distribution boards. I think they may have upgraded their distribution board since I got mine.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...r-4600-series/
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum