Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #20
jabrabu

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I have a Chateau 31E, and here was my experience camping in sub-freezing weather last year.

The RV was not winterized. I figured that if the coach was kept a comfortable temperature for humans then the plumbing would not freeze. We had no plumbing issues, even with temps in the teens.

We used a small electric heater to augment the heating, but still used a lot of propane. We can normally go most of the year without refilling propane, since we use just a little bit for the fridge and water heater and almost never use the propane stove, but in sub-freezing weather we had to refill every 2-3 days.

The 31E has heated holding tanks inside of a compartment, so those were fine. However, the piping at the dump valves froze so we couldn't dump the tanks until the weather warmed up. If I do this in the future I would put some anti-freeze in the tanks first and that might prevent this problem.

Overall, it was very comfortable. There was just the hassle of having to refill the propane often and not being able to dump the tanks. I think some more/better electric heaters and putting some anti-freeze in the holding tanks might help mitigate these issues.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum