Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 PM   #10
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
also, I'll add a note:

you may find that some campgrounds have 'weak' 30amp breakers at their pedestal, unfortunately..so,so many RVrs are using these, plugging in and out of the outlet, and flipping the breaker on and off, that over time, these breakers see so much more 'usage' than the normal typical house breaker, and can become overused.

a weak breaker can create the symptoms in your RV that you are using 'too much' power, because the pedestal breaker trips quite often. Many times this is the breaker, itself, not your overuse of any power.

How can you solve this? If you have tried to run both air conditioners at the same time, while having most everything else off, and it trips the pedestal breaker, chances are the breaker itself needs to be replaced. Have the campground change it out for you. You may immediately see that now you can use both air conditioners, and other things, and have no problem.

Last year I arrived an plugged my 50amp coach into a typical 30amp rv outlet at our local campground, on a very humid and hot day...
I immediately started tripping the campground breaker every 5 minutes or so, and knew something was up, as both of my roof air conditioners had no problems running on 30amp at the previous campground I had just left...

so, I walked down and contacted the 'host camper', who told me that I was just trying to use 'too much' electricity and that both of my air conditioners would never 'work' on 30amp service(as though I was some 'new' camper, in a diesel pusher, who didn't 'know' any better!... I've only traveled over 80,000 miles so far!).
I explained the 'facts', politely, and asked if he had an extra 30amp breaker I could switch out. He radioed his maintenance man, reluctantly, and the maintenance stopped by and basically 'told' me the same thing - it'll never work both on the single 30amp breaker... but, he somewhat begrudgingly obliged me, and came back with a new breaker, which he installed.
They were both amazed, and maybe dumbfounded, when I stepped in the coach, turned on both a/c units, and had them both running when I stepped back out. They had never 'seen' anyone do this, and had always been 'told' that it wasn't possible.
Now they have proof. Now they know. Even campgrounds don't have all the 'facts'.

I'll also throw in the fact that the previous small rv park we had just come from had the same 'wow' admission when they found out I was running both a/c units, at the same time, while on their 30amp service. The owner told me he had always been 'told' that campers couldn't do 'that', and he even owns his own diesel pusher motorhome, with two roof air conditioners, and had traveled the country several years before settling down and running this small family 'campground'! He, himself, had never tried it, because he simple only listened to the 'rumors' about it, instead of investigating the facts.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum