Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #19
Fred g

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
Actually, I believe the furnace fan might come on before the propane ignites as a safety to remove any gas/combustion gases. So technically, it does blow some cold air into the system. Once the propane burner ignites, that cold air is quickly replaced. I have camped in temps down to -5 degrees with 30 mph winds. I saw a few rv's freeze in those conditions. We had our furnace turned up so that it was comfortable in the RV with a short sleeve T shirt. We also opened the cabinet doors under the kitchen and bathroom sink. On that unit, the water pump and dump valves were in the same outside storage compartment so I rigged up a 60 watt light bulb for added protection.

My concern with only blowing air into the storage compartments is that the doors of most compartments aren't the best with regards to insulation and sealing. It is not like an entrance door and some of the people in gas Class A's found out the first night just how poorly insulated those doors are. I am not sure if there is insulation on the bottom of the storage cabinets, particularly the Rotocast ones.

With regards to the generator, I would think that if it is possible to run 2 A/C's it would power the Cheap Heat. If it were an issue, I would have the smaller 1800 watt unit installed so I would have that option.

The other option not mentioned so far, is, if you are staying in one place for the season and you pay for electric, why not contact a propane supplier and have a large tank delivered that hooks right into your system. We have a number of people working in the natural gas industry in our area that stay in 5th wheels and MH's. They are usually here for 1 to 2 years and many of them have the large propane tanks delivered and are on an automatic refill program. I live just south of the NY state border in PA and our winters are brutal.

Fred

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum