Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy12 View Post
Folks has anyone converted their rig to a Dually? I am looking into this. I love our rig but really do not like the sway in the Mountains. Plus we had a blow out coming down a steep decline in Virginia right rear ripped apart the wheel well and we almost rolled. Scary moment. I know I'll lose gas mileage. Not sure if we need the conversion kit? To me it looks like the rear was made for a Dually. Thoughts please?

You’d be ruining one of my favorite features of the 19G — its Single Rear Wheels.

Before I’d convert to duallies, I’d install rear wheels and tires with greater load capacity. Maybe all four if budget allows.

After owning both, I prefer SRW over duallies, and understand why there is more interest in going from duallies to singles; provided load capacity can be met.

According to Ford specs, SRW E-350 Cutaway has extra axle capacity, but track width is narrower than duallies. You’d have to measure, but I expect inside tires would hit springs if you use normal Ford 16” wheels. You’d probably also have to go to narrower tires because of wheel-to-wheel spacing.

By the way, duallies will ride harsher too.

I’d stay with singles and upgrade in width to provide more load capacity, or consider 19.5” wheels and tires, but that’s expensive and not really needed. Have you weighed your 19G? It should be fairly light.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum