Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
these first two replies tell you a a lot...

what I mean is that the idea is good, in generally, but may not really be practical for many... here's some reasons - members, feel free to correct me:

a- these are private owner's land and property, and not always designed for 'full hookup', or sometimes 'any' hookups, if that's what you might desire. Some may, but probably most don't, with sewer always being the wild card, but sometimes even the electrical is only a 15amp household plug, if any.

b- the idea of staying somewhere someone is willing to 'host you' may be appealing, if you are into the social aspect, which I can assume is part of the deal. Most 'hosts' would probably not be doing this if they didn't want to have interactions with their customers - that may be fine for many, or a little much for others.

c- these properties are not always, if ever, on the 'beaten path', as you would expect for a campground or rv park - and may have some negotiating to find and drive to, as well as basic grass/dirt to park on. They may lend a good feeling to some, and may not be so supportive of others. Depending on the weather, or the previous rainfall, the ground or yard may be suspect for large rigs. These are not typically managed sites, or sometimes anything other than someone's yard.

d- a drawback is that you don't 'know' where these 'host properties' are UNTIL you sign up and pay. You may find that none, or very few, are along your travel lanes. You may then even find that the ones that do show are not necessarily always available when you want them, may have someone else already there, or may not let you stay more than a single night.

d- I do like that it would be more of a 'private' recreational stop, and maybe presents some 'new' views and opportunities, but it's also a relative unknown until you actually show up.

If you have the money to throw at it, maybe it can be an option every-now-and-then, otherwise it seems an overnight in a parking lot, or a membership with Passport America, with 50% off at all of their parks and campgrounds, might be a better 'investment'.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum