Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 12:45 PM   #55
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Very cool thread you have going here! I just bought a 2020 Outlaw 29J and read your initial post a few weeks ago when I was researching the purchase. I weighed the axles on my way home from the dealer and ordered the 6" lift kit from Weldtec the next day. I am going to install it myself. It looks like the stock tires are about 29", so are your new tires about 31.5"? Measuring mine it looks like it is going to be a tight fit in the rear unless I stay under 31". I also installed 320 watts of solar today and figured out the issue with the limited outlets connected to the inverter. In 18 years I have never had a TV in my camper and now I have 4 TV's on an inverter! I was wondering if the leveling jacks would lift the coach high enough to change a tire and looking at your picture they do! I guess a tire-changing jack is not necessary in the tool kit. Did you consider carrying a spare wheel under the garage? Nice trip you had, thanks for the pictures. Do you have a picture of how you secured the motorcycle? In my last toy hauler, I installed a bar from wall to wall to hold the front tire.

Just a word of caution. I have a 2018 29H like AZADV. This has the 8' x 9' garage that is supposed to be rated to carry 1500lbs (the 29J's garage is shorter and rated for 1000lbs now I believe). Take those weight ratings with a grain of salt.

I don't know what you will be carrying but let me tell you about my experience....

We carry a Can-Am Spyder that weighs 1000lbs. When I bought the 29H I was not worried or thinking about the GVW limits because that garage said it could handle 1500lbs. It turns out than when I am carrying the Spyder, full load of fuel, full load of water and about 3/4 a tank of propane with 2 people and typical gear, we are 1000lbs overweight (~15,500lbs)!

Thor's weight numbers are very misleading. The 29H garage may be physically able to carry 1500lbs but when you put 1000lbs in it you could be overweight.

You may want to get a full load in the rig and then weight it so you know how much you have to work with in terms of available GVW. I'm guessing the lift-kit will add a few pounds as well as will a spare tire.

The weakest part of the 29H is the load range of the stock tires. First I was going to move to the Rickson customer 17.5 wheels but they could not get them anymore (and they were very expensive). Then I was going to upgrade my tires to a Commercial Rated 16" Tire (https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...tude-ht-c-type) that would give me over 3000lbs of load capability.

The axles and brakes should be able to handle the 15,500lbs load but if I was ever in an accident and they found I was overweight, I would probably be assigned blame even if it wasn't directly my fault.

I was not concerned about a trips less than 500 miles one-way but we want to spend 3 months on the road traveling the west when we retire in a couple years. I decided I was not comfortable being 1000lbs overweight traveling those distances and being in mountains, etc.

We started looking at Super C's (Thor Magnitude, Jayco Senca, Dynamax Force) and figured we would replace the Outlaw in about 12 - 18 months and then tow the Spyder on a trailer or dingy. We decided the Magnitude 4x4 would work for us after walking through one last week. We ended up working a good deal and are trading our 29H a year ahead of schedule.

The Outlaw 29H has been very good for our shorter trips and hauling the Spyder in the garage for our site seeing. I had to spend a few thousand in beefing up the suspension to get it to ride and handle properly and then another couple thousand on upgrades and improvements but it has been a fun coach for us. I was also just about to spend about $1500 in new commercial rated tires (glad I didn't).

We just came to the realization it wasn't going to be enough coach for 3 months on the road from having enough room two, storage, carrying capacity and power. We also decided that towing a dingy would be needed with uncertain weather at times (did you see Glacier National Park this weekend?).

Good luck with your 29J..... I still think the Outlaw is a great coach for people who like to carry their toys versus pulling them!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum