Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2020, 12:10 AM   #8
Boondock Saint

Brand: Jayco
Model: GREYHAWK 29MV
State: Washington
THOR #17431
Thanks for the info! I wasn't too familiar with the AXIS, but I get what you mean.

So a little disclosure here:

FIRSTLY -

I chose a class C because I want to jack the %$@! up in the air all red-necky and possibly go 4x4 on it. If not 4x4, then I might just add lockers so I'm not in a limited slip diff setup. I mean after all, the chances of getting stuck with FOUR 35" rear tires isn't too great. And I'm not taking it to Moab, just camping. Obviously I won't try to go up and down the same paths I do in my Wrangler, but I want to get back in a few roads worth and primitive camp, that's how I role.

I don't want to push the boundaries on forums rules and I'm not trying to promote any company in any way. There are two companies I'm look at to mod a Class C which involved shipping their materials up to WA state and then having folks wrench on it for me. The first is Ujoint Offroad in NC and the second is WeldTec Designs out of CA. I've had many many conversations and emails with both outfits. They supply the lifts, suspensions and 4x4 conversions for the Ford E350 and E450 frames, and WeldTec has a Chevy option.

If one were to search the tube for the offerings from these companies whereas they converted Class C motorhomes it would reveal the level of lift and beefy suspension I'm looking for spend the big bucks on. Get'r dun.

SECONDLY -

I plan to boondock in this rig until I retire then sell the heavily modified and capable overlanding setup and flee to another country where the tacos and cervesas are a lot cheaper. It isn't sub-freezing much up here in WA state but having a rig to mitigate those extra cold days just seems like a great idea.

So that's my deal, find the right sized rig, slightly depreciated. Make the most immediate mods to the rig, and get out of apartment living. Then continue to turn the rig in to a Mad Max mean machine with security cameras, alarms, theft deterrents and so on.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum