Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: No Power!
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
also, as a side note to help more easily determine what is happening, while testing for shore power - turn OFF your inverter.

what I've found, is that while having a 'whole house' inverter that provides power to all outlets when there is no shore power or generator power, it can easily get confusing trying to diagnose why 'no shore power pass thru' is happening, if the inverter is left ON, since all outlets WILL continue having power from the inverter.

If you turn the inverter OFF, you instantly know that you don't have shore power, and when you restore it, you will also instantly know that you DO. The microwave will start beeping, the fridge's compressor may then kick on, etc., all without having to look at the readout panel. You can even plug in a device, fan, or light bulb to an outlet to also serve as an easy indicator of shore power.

Lately, as it's been cold and we've been running several electric space heater versus using the propane furnace, I've found that it's 'safer' to turn the Inverter OFF when on shore power, while these space heaters are running.
The reason is this: if I lose shore power, I may not even KNOW it until my batteries are dead, or the Inverter's LBCO(low battery cut off) causes me to lose all power, since the heaters would continue to be powered by the Inverter, which is what I DON'T want!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum