Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #14
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminckv View Post
Thanks for the comments, I learn something everytime I'm on here. We know that the slide does move in some cases/situations. That being said, either the forces are causing the motor to rotate some (overpowering the brake) or the gear(s) are jumping a tooth. Jumping a tooth is probably less likely but I have read that it does happen. As you know, the motors use Hall's effect sensors. So....if there wasn't some undesired movement, then why all of the need to resync? Just thinking out loud. So back to my initial question. If the movement is eliminated by a lock, would there be as many sync problems and/or problems with peoples slides going in and out crooked?
The reason to resync the slide's motors is you have a digital comptroller controlling an analog circuit. The side motor's speed is controlled by varying the voltage to the motor. Since it is reasonable to assume the slide's resistance to movement is not linear and uniform side to side, the motors will drift out of sync. This could be eliminated by using a stepper type of motor but you would not be willing to pay the price.

In-flood slides used by Entrgra REDs use a common drive shaft for all gears in the slide's tracks, so the slide is always in sync. This system would require a major chassis modification (raised rail chassis) to the std Ford gas chassis as well as a significant change in the way the in-wall slides are built..
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum