Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Sumo Springs
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 01:29 AM   #37
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
After installing the Sumo Springs on my Magnitude SV34 today I noticed something that I had not thought about before.

I installed my rear Sumo's with the 1" spacer that is included. I did this on my last coach as well because these beasts are so heavy. This puts the Sumo in contact with the axle when the coach is at rest on all 4 wheels.

After raising my jacks and crawling back under the coach to check the Sumo's, I noticed the driver side Sumo was compressed more than the passenger side Sumo. At first I was scratching my head but then it all made sense and gave me reason to wonder about how the manufacturers setup.... or don't setup the suspensions properly from the factory.

My SV 34 has the following on the drivers side that add significant weight to that side of the coach:

- Generator
- Two Diesel Tanks
- DEF Tank
- Gray Tank
- Black Tank
- Residential Fridge

I started to wonder if Thor should be adding a leaf spring on the drivers side of the coach to better balance / level the coach.

I also started wondering if this could even lead to more chassis and structure flexing on the driver' side. Just so happens the issue I am having with the cap of the cab-over flexing and moving is visible on the driver's side.

In any case... I am glad I decided to install the Sumo's even though I was generally happy with the ride and handling and really had no intentions to do it. After seeing how much the suspension squats down with the jacks up and one side sits a little lower than the other really illustrates the need for a more fine tuned suspension from the factory. Adding Sumo Springs, Super Springs or some other similar solution is not a bad thing.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum