Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #15
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

I got the Southwire Portable EMS 34951 so my next steps may be to cut the shore cord in the power bay and add new connectors so my expensive Southwire Surge Guard is always locked inside while my basic South Guard surge protector can be on pedestal. My last toy for Year 1 in my RV
Update:

Versus cutting the existing 50amp shore cord somewhere in the power bay and adding two new connectors, I purchased the below 4 ft 50amp cable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253405319870

It is prewired perfectly for what I need to connect to ATS
It will also give me an extra 2 feet or so. I also purchased one female 50 amp connector. I will put it on the end of shore cord that the Southwire EMS 34951 can plug into to be locked in power bay I could also optionally allow the new 4 ft male end to drop through the floor hole and connect my main shore cord to it under the bottom of coach, and put the EMS on pedestal. My existing shore cord is just long enough to reach my pedestal at home when parked forward, but the extra 2 feet may prove priceless.

Note: I bought a female connector with flip up handle versus the knuckle grip because I want it to be easy to push in and out of the floor hole

So my future plan is this....

1. 20/30/50 Pedestal to Southwire Surge Guard 44270 (50amps)
2. Southwire Surge Guard 44270 (50amps) to Existing male end of OEM Shore Cord
3. New female end on OEM Shore Cord to Male end of New Southwire Surge Guard EMS 34951 (50amps) inside of electrical power bay.
4. Female end of New Southwire Surge Guard EMS 34951 (50amps) inside of electrical power bay to Male end of new 4 ft 50 amp shore cord.
5. Hardwire the new 4 ft 50 amp shore cord to Southwire ATS (50amps)
6. Connect Bluetooth Wireless Monitor to display inside RV in addition to display inside electrical compartment.

You can actually track KWH usage with this thing... so assume some guy from New York with a Tiffin had trouble finding a campsite in Texas? I could lease out my spot and charge him for the exact amount of electricity he used

Costs:
$350 for both Surge Guard EMS & Bluetooth Monitor
$35 for 4' Shore Cord
$15 for Female adaptor
$)0 I already owned the Southwire Surge Guard 44270

So $400 overall as I plan to install myself

Conclusion:
I will have the stated intent of this thread which is effectively to daisy chain both Southwire units so my cheaper unit serves some protection for my more expensive unit. Plus I now will have the Southwire Connected Equipment guarantee that reads any damage to any connected equipment through the Southwire 34951 is covered
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum