Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #44
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Just one question does it automatically prime the generator before trying to start? My Jayco always needed to be primed twice to start and my Thor is not much better
I have never primed my Onan 5500?

The way it was delivered from Winnebago OEM there is no prime switch capability from inside the coach. The Remote Switch is Simple Start / Stop switch. There is a Stop/Prime switch outside that if you hold that button for 30 seconds it will prime. But the manual says to only do that if you run out of gas if necessary?

Now with the EC-30 Controller it does have feature to Stop/Prime from inside the coach, but again I have never had to prime.

I have two ways to start & stop my Generator manually from inside. The OEM Manual Start / Stop switch and the Manual Start / Stop Switch on the EC-30.

But I think you were asking from Auto Start prospective? If so; if it is somehow Auto Priming, I would never know? I doubt very serious that it Auto Primes, it literally starts in a few seconds

When I was installing all of this, I had the luxury of talking to several Onan Support Analysts. To the Tee they crowed about how important the AGS was for the actual generator. They stated the number of repairs required for generators from owners with a AGS versus those without was night and day. It is why they say Onan Extend the otherwise 1 year warranty to 3 years to align with generator if you buy the EC-30 and have professionally installed.

Slightly off topic, but we use to rent RVs before buying this one. I had the FALSE illusion that running a generator was bad because these owners would restrict you to 4 hrs / day and/or charge some crazy fees per hr of usage. Onan says the best service for any generator to is to run it, change the oil / filter and run it some more

This may frustrate some, but there have been many times when I was at home and it was 90+ degrees and I purposely disconnected shore power to allow the AGS to do it's thing to kick in and run the AC's in the Quiet Time mode Similarly I have tried to see how long I could go with no shore power or generator to see how long I could go before the House batteries hit 12v.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum