Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 07:30 PM   #11
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyRV View Post
I bought my 2018 Vegas 24.1 last year. It came with a year's free storage, so I just had them winterize it and store it last year. We are in Montana, so we do get winter. I only went to start it once through the winter. I intended to do it more, but never got around to it. They dewinterized it and I picked it up and it just worked.
This year, we built out a storage area attached to our driveway. I winterized it using all of the wonderful help on this forum. I left it plugged into shore power believing that it would keep the batteries topped up and I wouldn't need to worry about disconnecting them.
I went out today to give it and the generator a run, but all batteries (house and chassis) are all completely dead. I could use some help troubleshooting. There were two things different this year:
- I left it on shore power
- The Axxera radio was replaced with a newer model under warranty because it wouldn't take the firmware update that allowed the radio to play with the turn signal on, etc.
I only mention the radio, because I read here that the radio can drain both sets of batteries.
When I take it off shore power, everything is completely dead. Nothing when I try to start it. Generator won't start. The 50amp breaker beside the battery was tripped, but I don't know when or if that was part of the problem. I still have no power after resetting it.
Will the chassis batteries now charge (assuming they are still good) after resetting the breaker?
Should I rethink leaving it on shore power?
I really didn't want to dig into the dash to get at the chassis battery, but it looks like I will have to.
Any suggestions and answers would be appreciated.
The 50 amp circuit breaker in the battery compartment connects the batteries to the use/store (master power) switch which in-turn is connected to the power center's 12 volt fuse panel. If that circuit breaker trips, the power center is disconnected from the batteries, so only the items connected through the other battery compartment circuit breakers could use battery power and only the coach's alternator could charge the batteries. New deep cycle flooded batteries can usually be completely discharged and still be recharged three or four times before they will not retain a useful charge. That is - if they sit fully discharged only for a day or so. Any flooded battery that sits completely discharged for a couple weeks or more is effectively dead because of sulfation. Most computer controlled chargers will not charge dead batteries. The charger needs to see at least 5 to 7 volts across the charger to make sure the battery terminals are not reversed before it will operate. Just connect another 12 volt battery across the terminals to get the charger to turn on. After a couple minutes, you can remove the jumper cables and the jumper battery if the batteries are going to take a charge.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum