Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: refrigerator
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2022, 12:21 AM   #6
10scDust

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I would say yes, it is safe to travel on propane powered refrigerator. I do it when traveling also and never a problem. Since I do not run the generator going down the road for 110v, propane it is. Besides the cost of gasoline what it is, our generator gives us 8 hours on 5 gallons of gasoline. That could be expensive.

I've read that the fridge won't work if out of level within so many degrees or more.

I have never had it happen until this past weekend, because I usually camp with a 30A hook-up plugged in. Camping at this motorcycle rally over the past weekend+, there were no hook-ups for the RV. No problem I figure the fridge is running on propane. Only thing, I could not get the rig level enough, uphill to the front and the rear tires off the ground.

It seemed level enough I could manage. Then the freezer part began unthawing things in there, and my bag of ice was melting in there. I checked and a pilot light was lit, just that, seemed odd because I usually hear a jet engine sort of sound on propane and no pilot is usually present, it electric spark starts when needed to.

When I ran the generator to supply 110v, the fridge worked great. I figured the refrigerator was okay and just something about the gas mode, or circuit board. Nope.

I learn and share my experience.

About the flame to work the ammonia refrigerant system in there;
The flame from a fire source, especially one in an enclosed space away from a breeze, will always burn with the flame going straight up against gravity.

When you get too far of a point not being level, the flame will not be aligned to the heating tank part properly. The design is to prevent the system causing a fire and that could be detrimental to the rig, and/or life and limb if the flame were heating something it shouldn't be.
A good safety measure for sure.

I am also glad I do not have another "thing gone wrong" with our Thor.
(let's not go there)...

Hope this helps somebody to understand part of how it all works.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum