Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2022, 10:44 AM   #7
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
DK..... I mentioned to you about the Renogy Charge Controllers having the option for a battery temperature probe and while your thread is geared to flooded, AGM and Gel batteries, LiFePO4 batteries are also impacted by temperature.

Here is some info that may be useful when you think about battery temperature for your batteries.

The BMS in LiFePO4's help prevent things like charging and discharging at temps that are too high... or too low.

You mentioned watching ambient temperature as it pertains to charging but you also have to remember that charging in and of itself creates heat..... especially when batteries have been deeply discharged.

The reason for the temperature sensor with some charge controllers is that it measures the actual battery temperature as a result both ambient air and the heat being generated by charging.

A good Charger is key to properly charging a battery based on a specific battery-type charging profile to prevent excess heat from being created.

In the case of my BigBattery LiFePO4 batteries, 131F is the upper temp limit. However, they caution that ambient temps over 90F can be bad when you factor in the heat generated from charging. The built-in BMS will stop charging once the internal battery temp hits 131F.

I installed my LiFePO4's inside the coach so if I am running the A/C on warm to hot sunny days, the temps inside should never reach 90F. But if for some reason my coach was sitting out and the A/C was not running, I would likely kill the shore power and turn off my Solar Controller as an additional safety precaution to prevent the batteries from charging if I felt the inside temp could reach 90F.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum