Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 08:36 PM   #2
Travelin' Texans

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
Hi everyone...

I'd like to get an EMS (Electrical Management System) for my coach and would like to get some input.

First of all, I know the difference between an EMS and Surge...however, there are some "smart" Surge protectors that are worth considering.

I have read some of the POSTs on the forum where some people hardwired them into their coach and some people just attach them to the pole/line feed (dongle). I don't want this POST to be about the differences between hardwired and dongle style; you won't convince me that one is better than the other. The only difference I see is one is a hassle to install, and the other isn't.

For this reason, I'm planning on going with the dongle style as they are easy to install and if it goes out, I'm not having to deal with removing wires. Plus, this is the "gate keeper" to the voltage and if it were to short out or even burn up, I'll be glad that I didn't hardwire it in my coach. Plus, with the dongle, as soon as I connect it up, I can see what the voltages are and the status any time.

My coach is 30-amp, yet most RV parks are 50-amp. So, do I get a 30-amp EMS or a 50-amp? I would think that a 50-amp would work just fine on a 30-amp coach as both are monitoring the voltage.

On the side of my house, I have a 30-amp electrical outlet with 3 prongs and the coach has a completely different connector.

If I were to get a 50-amp EMS, what does one do if the RV park only has 30-amp outlets? I guess one could use an adapter.

I have different cables/adapters for either 30 or 50-amp, but it would seem to me that the easiest thing would be to find an EMS that plugs right into the coach connector...if they make such a thing.

If you have a dongle style...what did you buy and why?
Do they all have start delays?

Thoughts anyone?
If you have a 30 amp coach get the 30 amp EMS & a 50 to 30 amp quality dog bone adapter for that very rare occasion that 30 is not available.
The 50 amp EMS will have 2 line voltages displayed with most likely 1 reading 0 & just causing confusion, where your 30 will only have 1 line voltage that should within specs.
Plugging your 30 amp coach into a 50 amp plug does not/will not give any more power to your coach, just makes 1 unnecessary piece to plug in to reduce it back to 30 amps.
Typically most parks that offer power will all have 30 amp plugs at the pedestal, 50 amp ones not nearly as common especially in state/national/older/smaller parks.
Also by "dongle" I assume you are referring to the portable EMS? Never ever heard anything portable called "dongle"!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum