Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2022, 02:16 AM   #2
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Full wall slide not square - anyone had to deal with this?

The Schwintek Mechanism requires the tolerances be within 1/8”. How far out of square is the opening vs the slide box?

What is your slide doing / not doing besides eating motors?

The coach not being leveled properly can also twist things enough to make it appear out of square when it’s really not. I recommend only manually leveling with a quality level and not using AutoLevel.

While being out of square may be your issue, it may also be what I experienced with my Magnitude SV34 and what many others experienced…. the Schwintek Mechanism is not equipped to reliably operate a heavy, full-wall slide.

About 70 - 80% of owners with heavy, full-wall slides using the Schwintek mechanism experience slide issues. More often than not it is because the Scwintek Mechanism is a poor design for a heavy full-wall slide that will likely fail at some point… and often fail more than once.

I had multiple issues with the slide in my SV34. I also went through a couple motors as well as other issues. I finally had the Schwintek mechanism replaced with the Vroom Slide System last October. The performance and reliability is night and day. I have not had a single issue in 12 months. The slide is quieter and moves faster and the motors don’t sound like they are struggling to move the slide.

There several threads about the Vroom Slide System. You will find several posts from me about the failure points with the Schwintek mechanism. You will also find posts from people with similar issues and they ultimately had the Vroom system installed.

You may want to read those thread and think about contacting Vroom. Every owner who replaced their Schwintek mechanism with the Vroom Slide System had been very happy. The design of the Vroom system is light years ahead of the LCI / Schwintek design.

Another issue is that the floor rollers Thor uses have been failing / collapsing in the full wall slides causing the slide to drag. Vroom has been seeing these roller failures when replacing the Schwintek mechanism in Thor’s with full-wall slides.

Before you spend money on repairs, find out how far out of square your wall and slide box is and find out what the issue is based on your failure / issues. If you are out of square, there should be signs of rubbing / abnormal wear and not just motor failure.

I would not be surprised if you are just having the same issues that myself and some other Omni / Magnitude owners have had as well as owners of othet models with a heavy, full-wall slide.

It will cost you ~$3500 for the Vroom system but it will be the best upgrade you could do for your coach if you plan to keep it several years and want the slide to be reliable.

One last thing… all Vroom does is slides for RV’s. Nothing else. So I would consider them experts even over an experienced general RV shop when it comes to slides. You are two hours from Vroom if you are in Scottsdale so you owe it to yourself to explore them as an option.

Vroom is booking into June 2023 already because of the demand. However, if you call Vroom Engineering and ask for Brian, he may be willing to squeeze you in last minute if he has a cancellation since you are two hours away. Or at the very least he may be able to get you in just to verify your slide issue is because it is out of square or whether you are just having the same issues as the rest of us were before we Vroom’ed.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum