Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
Hittntherooad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Congrats on the 30.1
We also have one. I would recommend a couple things to check.
First, remove the bottom drawer and cover panel over the furnace.
Check to see if the power wire and water supply are laying on top of the furnace.
I found mine laying on top. I turned on the furnace and let it run for a while. It gets very hot. I was worried it might melt through the wire and hose so I moved them. Very easy to do.
Second was the wire feeding the AC that comes through the roof channel existed through a hole cut in the channel without any chafing protection. With all the movement and vibration I believe it could short out and make the whole metal frame of the coach hot. I put plastic cushion around mine.
Also put spray foam around all the wires that came into the AC unit inside.
Caulk the inside of the shower door frame at the bottom. Mine was caulked real good outside but continued to leak until I caulked the inside.
Look up behind the outside shower with a flashlight. On mine they cut 3 2 1/2" holes. One for a duct to heat the black water tank, grey tank to a point and the water pump and associated plumbing. I put insulation inside the spaces left from running pipes and wires through. I will also block this duct off unless it gets cold enough to freeze the pipes.I may be a little anal with all this but trying to get this thing as tight as I can. The wire grate between the dressers in the bedroom is the return air. Lots of potential for air to be drawn in from these outside holes. The compartment the furnace and water heater are located seems to be sealed pretty tight. The return air is going to pull from the least resistance and these holes are within 12" of the return. It wouldn't be a problem if the furnace was located inside the rv but as is it is located below the floor in a non-insulated compartment. I may at some point insulate it but will camp some in the cold to see if it's a big enough issue.
This seems like a lot but I enjoy doing things to make it better.
We really like ours.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum