Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
dhgasman55

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #1091
New ACE 30.1 owner

Hello!

This is Dave and Sue Harvey here in Clovis, CA. We just bought a '14 ACE 30.1 about 2 months ago. Sat at the dealer having nothing whatsoever done to it for a month and we haven't had a chance to actually take it anywhere yet, but we're really looking forward to it.

I'm a nurse anesthetist and Sue is a semi-retired dental hygienist. We have 2 sons: Neal, 28, married a year, expecting their first next April and Brent, 27, autistic, developmentally delayed who still lives with us and frequently travels with us. We also have a 3 year old English Bulldog, Hoss, who is a therapy dog and is impatiently waiting for us to actually take him somewhere in the ACE.

Our interests include, but are not limited to: Cooking, classic cars, traveling, SCUBA diving (Neal is an instructor in the Bahamas), reading, ballroom dancing, cycling, tennis, golf, and now- of course- RVing.

I've got a couple questions too, and our dealer has been of questionable help, Camping World more so, and Thor more so yet, but still some things puzzling me a bit:

1. How are the plastic bottoms of the storage compartments actually supposed to be attached to the frame of the coach? The large one on the passenger's side was "reinforced" with 2 short (less than 1") woodscrews screwed into a wooden panel near the fender. As soon as anything was put in the compartment and we drove 7 miles from the house to our storage unit- the screws tore out and the whole bottom of the compartment was displaced. Thor says they'll pay to fix it-but I haven't really gotten a straight answer in terms of how it really should have been attached. No- I have not yet had a chance to look at the other compartments in detail.

2. How many of you actually use the deadbolt in your doors?

3. How many of you have changed out the storage compartment "locks" for non-universal actual uniquely keyed locks?

4. I need to tow a 1997 Nissan Sentra GLE (automatic), have gotten a few differing responses about whether I need A. a lube pump for the transmission and B. supplemental braking. Yes-we did have Camping World talk with Remco, but have not received a completely definitive answer.

I would very much appreciate any and all guidance regarding the above, because we are rank novices to RVing.

Thanks So Much!!

Dave Harvey

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum