Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 09:34 PM   #30
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
Since I don't have a Safe-T installed I don't know the exact answer. But I have looked at them and they are not built to lock the wheels straight. I am pretty sure you can turn the steering freely. If you are traveling down the interstate at 65mph and you think one of the maneuvers available to you is swerving, like you may be able to do in your car, then you have no business ever getting behind the wheel of a large MH anyway.

Chance, since your signature never lists what type of unit you may have, only lists "still looking", are you basing the opinions on certain articles, experience in a 28' MH, 38' MH, 45' DP?????

I can assure you that based on real life experiences (retired IL State Police) that for the average driver a front steer tire blow out is much more dangerous for trucks, RV's, cars, and motorcycles alike, rather than a rear blow out on a vehicle. Why do you think Federal transportation regulations (plus many states) require a different tread depth on front tires than rear tires on commercial vehicles?
The highlighted part is a fair question. I started driving trucks as a teenager, initially before I even had a license. Sometimes pulling trailers with very heavy loads. As in heavy tractors.

During high school I often drove large furniture delivery trucks; both on the highway and in cities. If you think backing up a modern motorhome at a campground is tough, try a large truck onto someone's driveway or yard that's not set up for it. And without aid of rear-view cameras and sometimes without a spotter.

As an adult I've owned and rented many motorhomes and trailers, and have driven them all over the US without issue. Not a single incident.

For years I've been driving an E-350 Ford van out of choice. I like small. When I need more space I just rent it. Within reason I can buy (or rent) and drive anything I may want -- I just don't like what they are making recently.

Having answered that question, my opinions on steering stabilizers have nothing to do with my driving experience or knowledge (or lack thereof if you prefer to see it that way). My opinions are mostly based on an engineering education that included the study of dampers. What they do and what they can't do. It also included how they work.

No doubt as a policeman you've been at more crashes than I have, but I honestly don't see the relevance, or how that would make you better at understanding vehicle dynamics.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum