Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #21
Hudsoner

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
My husband is looking into sumo springs. If you care to comment on your experience, it would be most welcome.
I can share my experience with you. I drive a 31' long Hurricane on a Ford F53 chassis, and had all the driving problems almost everybody driving an F53 has. I first installed the CHF (cheap handling fix) to the front and rear sway bar links. This was followed by changing the stock shocks for Bilstein shocks, followed by the installation of a rear track Bar (Blue Ox Tiger Track). These modifications improved the handling a lot, but passing trucks still blue me o the side. Prior to a more than 4000 miles long trip this summer, I installed Sumo Maxime springs in the front. And that helped a lot! Trucks don't bother me anymore, in fact most of the times I don't even realize that a truck is passing me until I see it through my side window! My trip was to the Pacific North West, and I did a lot of mountain driving, some of it on rather small and very winding roads. That was not really fun, but not because of handling problems but rather because of the size of the vehicle.
Handling is no problem anymore, but I am still driving a truck and it is still rather harsh suspended when bad road sections are under its wheels.
I could install a Kelderman suspension system that would provide almost air ride qualities, but that would set me back about $10,000. I am currently investigating how I can achieve a similar ride for way less money. It helps that my son is a master mechanic with the largest Ford dealer in the state, and that we have a full equipped automotive shop at home.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum