Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 12:40 AM   #16
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
Chance, I agree with you that if you are running a heat pump off the generator, its probably a losing situation. As I pointed out we are usually plugged into shore power, so under those circumstances for us its a win win. As far as failures, I can only tell what my experience with the previous coach was, it had two of them, we used them a lot and in 11 years never had a failure. I can only hope this one is as reliable. ...cut....
Laco, I know I'm being selfish when suggesting that I could run an electric heater instead of a heat pump when plugged into shore power at campground because I'm not paying for electricity directly. From an environmental standpoint it's obviously better to run a heat pump than an electric resistance heater, even if it doesn't save the RV owner money.

The only reason I mentioned the heat pump failure was because my sister and brother-in-law decided it would not really add much value to them and thus decided to go with standard AC even though they could have gotten another heat pump at no cost to them. When boondocking they use the furnace for heat, and at campgrounds with shore power they use electric heater in mild weather and the furnace when it gets much colder.

I would certainly consider a heat pump if custom ordering an all-electric gasoline-powered motorhome without propane. But if you have propane or diesel fuel for heat, like you say, why run a generator just for heat? There are more efficient ways to stay warm.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum