Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #2
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman View Post
Hi all,
I could use some knowledge from you experienced owners.
I just purchased a 2017 Hurricane 35M.
It has Two house Batteries, I have four new Deep Cycle Batteries that I want to install in my coach.
Will this help my Dry Camping?
Will I need to Change out my Inverter or Converter?
Will my current Charging capabilities be ok or will I need to do something different to charge 4 Batteries instead of the Two Batteries.
It depends... Need specifications of the existing and new batteries...
Are all batteries 12v? (some use 6v in series...)
I assume the existing coach batteries are 'flooded' (wet cell)...
WHat is the battery chemistry? Are the new flooded, AGM (absorbed glass mat), Gell?
What are the amp hour capacities of existing and new?

In general the higher the amp hour capacity, the longer you can run on batteries... As safe rule of thumb - half the rated capacity is available to use...

The battery chemistry will determine if current converter can be used to charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman View Post
We are in Arizona right now at a Camp Ground hooked up to Shore Power 50 Amps.
It is chilly here so I am using to 110V Electric Heaters to save my Propane.
So using the Heaters, Wife using Washer and Dryer Units, TV on and some lights on I noticed my Xantrex Meter will show 11.5 Volts. Is this Normal? I thought being on 50 Amp service my Batteries should not show a draw on them.
Also some kind of an Automatic Breaker will kick off and then come back on. I lost almost all power in most of my outlets.
Electrically Challenged Toolman Butch.
When plugged in to shore power - the inverter can be turned OFF... (Some include a transfer switch so they will bypass and allow shore/generator power thru - but without that you could still be running 110 off 12v for the inverter controlled outlets...)
Sounds like the inverter is tripping out on low voltage - and waiting for batteries to charge again...
11.5 is VERY LOW voltage for a 12v system.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum