Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2017, 06:02 AM   #2
axis earl

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor29.3inAZ View Post
I did a search and found nothing in regards to the F53 chassis. So.... I live in AZ and the roads are the roughest I've come across in years. The I-40 across the state will make you think you are on a off roading trip.
What I would like to know from other F53 class owners is.... What mods have you done that made the biggest difference in ride and handling. I have done the "Cheap Handling Fix" but that is about it right now. I did find that tire pressure made a difference in ride for sure. However, from some of the tire shops, have different ideas from what my placard says. We had a blow out from damage in between the rear duals and the tire guy said I should be running my pressure at 110 psi (max labeled on the tire: 245/70 19.5). But.... the recommended psi on the placard is 85 psi. From some research it is recommended to weight the coach and go from there. I called Thor and asked what the weight was when if left the factory. 17,890 lbs. We have a 29.3. For the sake of argument, I'm sure it will be a bit heavier on the driver side due to the slide out. And normally run the tire pressure around 90 psi.
So one shop mentioned to try a different shock. He had installed a set of Koni's and said it made a big difference in ride. Many say the Bilsten's make a big difference too.
So to get this to ride a little better should I...... Install the Koni's or Bilsten's? Add a beefier sway bar or stay with the CHF? Keep the tire pressure at max or what Thor has recommended? Any input would be great!
I have a cousin who bought a slightly used Itasca on the F53 chassis. He added Koni shocks, Saf-T-Plus and adjustable airbags. Seems quite happy with the results. Weighing the rig and setting the tires' air pressure that would be recommended is also a must. I would suggest talking with a reputable RV service center in your area rather than throwing money under the coach.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum