Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
FW28z
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Towing and Vehicle weights can be a complicated issue.

Generally, there are two weights that are important, the vehicle's GVWR and CGWR. The GVWR, which is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is the maximum the vehicle itself can weigh, which includes the vehicle's actual weight, and the added weight; people, cargo, fuels, trailer tongue weight, etc.

The vehicle's actual weight will be less than the vehicle's GVWR. The best way to determine the cargo capability is to have your vehicle weighed, then subtract that weight from the published GVWR (in your case, 22,000lbs).

A rough estimate can be had from the yellow sticker in the vehicle's cab, titled "Motorhome Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capability". This is a placard required in motorhomes by the Federal safety standards since 2009, and is basically the GVWR minus the actual weight. However, the standard may not apply to extremely high weight vehicles.

It is determined by actually weighing the coach at the RV factory before shipment to the dealer. But if you have added any accessories to the coach, it can vary. It should be close enough though unless you are close to the max, which at that time, I'd suggest weighing your vehicle to find out for sure. I am not sure when this regulation took effect, but I have one on my 2011 coach.

The CGWR is the Combined Gross Weight Rating, which is the maximum weight for the RV, it's occupants and cargo, and trailer. Basically, the maximum weight of everything traveling down the road.

The rule of thumb here is the maximum trailer weight is generally determined by the CGWR minus the vehicle's GVWR. In your case, 26,000lbs - 22,000lbs. This gives you a 4,000lb towing capacity, in addition to the "X" lbs of cargo and people capacity from the yellow sticker in your cab.

Some people "borrow" excess unused cargo carrying capacity and add it to their trailer tow capacity, but this is a controversial issue, and I'd advise to do a bit of research before doing so. In some cases it might be possible, and in other cases it might not.

Another often overlooked rating is the GAWR, or Gross Axle Weight Rating, which is the maximum weight each axle can support. There is a GAWR for both front and rear axle. However, if you are within the cargo capacity, you probably are OK with the GAWR, unless you overload the front vs. back. And again, if you are close to the maximum, actual weight measurements is recommended.

Finally, the tow ratings should be considered MAXIMUM. Many vehicle manufacturers base these ratings on "moderate climate and flat terrain". So if you are chugging up a mountain or across Death Valley, you may have to reduce your tow weight.

Personally, I keep at least a 25% margin of safety, in that I never tow or load more than 75% of the weight ratings. This provides a safer environment should you have to execute an evasive maneuver or abruptly stop in an emergency condition.

But that is just me, we all have different levels of comfort.

As I said, this can be a complicated issue.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum