Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Leaking Slide
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 04:34 PM   #22
bevedfelker

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
After 2 years and more than 200 camping days, my 2015 Vegas 24.1 developed a leak at the rear end of the slide. It would only leak if the rain was coming down very hard or if the wind was blowing pretty heavily with the rain. During a normal rain there was no leak.

The water was coming in under the rear front corner of the couch with the slide extended and running along the floor at the wall between the living area and the bathroom. Tilting the coach level toward the driver’s side would lesson, but not stop the leak in a driving rain storm. I borrowed a ladder from a fellow camper and here is what I found.

There are four rubber wipes on the slide opening – bottom, front & rear side, and top. I checked the bottom wipe thoroughly and it did not appear the bottom wipe had a void leading to the leak. The top wipe is about 6 inches long and is folded under across the top of the slide and about 4 inches of the wipe at the front and rear overlaps the side wipes beyond the side edge of the opening.

I checked the front side wipe and it looked good. I noticed at the top of the front side wipe the top wipe was overlapping the side wipe about 4 inches and was laying flat against the side wipe. The folding and overlapping of the top and side wipes at the top front corner formed rubber damming that prevented water from getting in at the front corner.

When I checked the top rear I noticed that the part of the top wipe that extended beyond the rear opening and overlapped the side wipe was not laying flat like the front was. In fact it was kind of folded up on itself and had created an opening between where the top wipe overlapped the side wipe. This opening looked like water in a normal rain would not get in; however, a torrential rain or blowing rain could go down this cupped area of the wipe and run down the inside corner of the slide wall into the cabin exactly where we were seeing the leak.

I bonded the part of the top seal overlap with silicon caulk so it laid flat like the front overlap. The remaining opening in the rear edge of the top wipe I caulked with silicon.

Last night we had a real “Gully Washer” of a rain storm, and there was no leak at the slide.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum