Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #30
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Yeah I'm not sure of the balance between a battery and a fuel cell plus hydrogen storage. Which really is just another form of electrical storage. Especially if the H2 comes from electrolysis of water in the first place.
Exactly. If the primary source of the energy is coal, as an example, then I'm not sure just how much either is really doing compared to a clean internal combustion engine.

The nice thing about RVs is that with enough batteries to exceed 24-hour energy cycles, it's possible to recharge 100% with solar (provided there is enough roof area).

Since we don't boondock in a traditional way, it makes little sense for us to have a huge battery bank or solar. On the other hand a system like the new Xantrex FREEDOM e-GEN, or the Volta, or what Roadtrek has been building for a few years may make a lot of sense for us. Whether staying at a campground, or driving around, the battery bank would stay charged up. As long as there is enough juice to occassionally power an A/C or small electric heater overnight, I'd be satisfied. We seem to be getting very close to that now without having to spend a small fortune.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum