Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Personally I would use 3M Weather Strip adhesive, stuff sticks firmly to just about anything at any reasonable temp.

Tanks on our Windsport are enclosed in the wet bay and are protected from weather and road hazards.
It might be required to use some primer first to condition the surface to be attached to.
I am a retired 3M labby, and the next time I have a chance to talk to one of the adhesive labby's, I will try to find out what they feel would be the best way to attach those blankets.
Once I know this, I will share it here.
I definitely would use some kind of an acetate based solvent to prime the surfaces.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #22

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Hudsoner that would be great for you to check!
Old 01-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #23

THOR #5756
Quote:
Hudsoner that would be great for you to check!
But it has to wait until later this year, because I am heading south pretty soon!

For the time being, I would say some kind of 3M automotive trim adhesive (either the gray tape with the red liner, or the paste like stuff in a tube) should work pretty good if the surface has been cleaned and primed well, and the application temperatures are 60ºor higher for the time period the stuff required to cure (about 24 hours).
It should also be mentioned that the tape contains a pressure sensitive adhesive.
These kinds of adhesives are actuated by the elimination of oxygen! That means, the higher the initial application pressure is (causing more of the surface area to be depleted of oxygen), the stronger the resulting bonding will be! The initial pressure should be applied for several minutes. The initial pressure thing applies to all versions of pressure sensitive adhesive tapes.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #24

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Personally, I would use the 3M glue in a tube, so far I haven't found anything it wouldn't stick to if it's clean and dry.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #25

THOR #5756
Quote:
Personally, I would use the 3M glue in a tube, so far I haven't found anything it wouldn't stick to if it's clean and dry.
It's just a little more messy, and needs longer curing time, which needs, it needs to be fixed in place for a longer time.
It is used a lot in the automotive industry to apply trim components to vehicles.
On the other hand, Boeing and Airbus are using a lot of pressure sensitive tape to put their aircraft together!
Yes, a lot of the commercial aircraft is glued together!

And if you think about, our motorhomes are glued together, too. Vacuum bonding is nothing but gluing!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:56 AM   #26

Model: HAD Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #9657
Heat Pad Switch location in 24.1?

I have a new 2017 Vegas 24.1. Anyone know where the switch is for the holding tank heat pads? Was probably told but TMI for my brain to retain all. THX!!
Old 11-10-2017, 02:11 AM   #27

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
They should be on the panel just inside the door next to the switch for the fresh water pump, etc.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:04 AM   #28

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: New Jersey
THOR #3292
Thumbs up Holding Tank heater

Manual Page "111"
" Your vehicle’s holding tank compartments are heated by the furnace duct work. It will heat the tanks when the furnace is operating."
Old 11-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #29

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
How Long Is Safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
They are controlled by a thermostat and won't come on until its cold enough. They will keep them warm enough to not freeze and not really get that warm to the touch.
Is there a limit on how long it's safe to leave the tank heaters on? I may be in Massachusetts this winter for up to three weeks, during some portion of which the Vegas will be unoccupied. I'm wondering how long I can safely leave the heaters on to insure that the holding tanks don't freeze up?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:18 PM   #30
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz102 View Post
Manual Page "111"
" Your vehicle’s holding tank compartments are heated by the furnace duct work. It will heat the tanks when the furnace is operating."
Nope, not on an Axis/Vegas: The holding tanks are below the chassis and have no duct work going to them.

The switches for the waste heaters, on ours, is on the main panel (They are the red switches).
Click image for larger version

Name:	axiskib.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	7716
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post
Is there a limit on how long it's safe to leave the tank heaters on? I may be in Massachusetts this winter for up to three weeks, during some portion of which the Vegas will be unoccupied. I'm wondering how long I can safely leave the heaters on to insure that the holding tanks don't freeze up?
You could always buy a couple of gallons of the pink stuff and dump it down the drains after emptying the tanks. Then you wouldn't need to leave the heaters on. You'll also want to either winterize the plumbing or leave an electric heater running (I'd probably leave both the main furnace running and the electric heater running setting the electric heater's temp a few degrees higher than the main furnace. That way you have electric heat and the main furnace as a backup if you lose 120VAC.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #32

Model: Aria 3901
State: Texas
THOR #12159
Does 2019 Aria 3901 have Heated Tanks

We are about to encounter cold weather. Do you know if we have heating pads for the grey and black holding tanks on the 2019 Aria 3901 and if so, how do we turn them on?
Old 03-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #33

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Dr. Terri,
The Aria's do not have heating pads. They have a duct from the furnace that goes into the wet bay. So, if you are using your furnace, you should not freeze your water, holding tanks or plumbing.
Mike
Old 03-14-2019, 08:44 PM   #34

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
On the THOR Sprinter based models, some have ducted heat to the holding tanks and some heat pads. ON those models,- Wording is usually. "Enclosed heated holding tanks" for those that use the ducted heat from the furnace.
"Heated holding tanks" usually means exposed tanks using electrical heat pads. Fresh water tank is inside.

Heat pump does nothing for the holding tanks--but heat pump also not effective below 38- 40 degrees anyway.

When not winterized, Keep the interior heated with the furnace, fill the fresh water tank and remove water hose in very low temps.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:47 PM   #35
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You'd better turn down the heat: the poo is starting to boil!

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1552603653
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EWWWwwwwwwww.....jpg
Views:	151
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	16191  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:14 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Ohio
THOR #23681
2018 Hurricane here and I found two fuses marked Tank Heaters 20Amp and Tank Heaters 2 15Amp. No switches anywhere and I looked for heating pads on all 4 tanks, and no visible sign of any, or any wires other than the Tank level sensors.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:42 PM   #37

Model: Windsport 29M, 50Amp
State: Louisiana
THOR #10418
Quote:
I have always left grey tank valve open, closing the day before to flush hose after dumping black. I've been RVing a long time and have NEVER heard of rats coming up the hose. I've had mice and squirrels get in around the access hatch but stopped that with a large sponge donut pushed in around the hose.

On our Tuscany the tanks were heated by the furnace, never had a problem, even when temp was around zero. Tank heating pads, like the ones on our Windsport, work like "heat tape" and kick on when temps drop. Shouldn't have a problem as long as they are functioning.
Hi SuperD,

We have a Windsport 29M and there are switches on the panel above the entry door that are for the Gray and Black Heated Tanks.

The Manual for our Coach says the tanks are heated by the furnace. Can you confirm that the tanks are heated by turning on these switches?

The temperature was below freezing for a couple of days and I had the switches on but the Gray water tank never seemed to warm up to the touch on the bottom of the tank but the Black water tank did feel slightly warm.

Thanks
USAF Veteran
jdharrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:56 PM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1641398196
Attached Thumbnails