Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 AM   #1

State: Alaska
Seiki QAM converters and Park Cable

We are currently parked at a FL coast RV resort and could not get our Seiki TV to read the provided cable channels.
After many tries and reading up on other forums we came to the conclusion our TV must not have a QAM converter; so off to Walmart.
$40 later I hooked up the new QAM converter. To my surprise still nothing... then I remembered when we got our new cable installed the tech had to change out our wall coax receptacles (something about new digital signals). So I went outside to the cable box and just bypassed the coax box and plugged straight into the black line. Boom! 100 channels. No QAM converter needed. Now we just need RV parks to upgrade their components.
Hope this might help some others out there mad at Thor using Seiki TVs.

TheViners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViners View Post
We are currently parked at a FL coast RV resort and could not get our Seiki TV to read the provided cable channels.
After many tries and reading up on other forums we came to the conclusion our TV must not have a QAM converter; so off to Walmart.
$40 later I hooked up the new QAM converter. To my surprise still nothing... then I remembered when we got our new cable installed the tech had to change out our wall coax receptacles (something about new digital signals). So I went outside to the cable box and just bypassed the coax box and plugged straight into the black line. Boom! 100 channels. No QAM converter needed. Now we just need RV parks to upgrade their components.
Hope this might help some others out there mad at Thor using Seiki TVs.
That makes no sense. Changing splitters and amplifiers - yes. But not receptacles as they are nothing more that a male-to-male connector:

Tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
'Cable' companies will often change the coax fittings from the picture in previous post... The connector on the end of the cable that is often cheap and poorly connected. More to avoid any chance of issues later to me. Never seen them change the barrel connector.

Not sure what exactly you bypassed. Certainly wouldn't be the first campground with a bad connector. My MH has a bad line from rear recepticle to switch box I bypass... Easier than tearing out walls to replace.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX
State: California
I too am not sure what you bypassed, but would like to try it, if its something I can get to. I know folks that have changed out their Seiki sets for Panasonic or Samsung and get all cable channels as a result, which sure seems to indicate its the Seiki's. I have done nothing as yet, as 99% of TV we watch is satellite and the Seiki's are fine with that.
Laco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I too am not sure what you bypassed, but would like to try it, if its something I can get to. I know folks that have changed out their Seiki sets for Panasonic or Samsung and get all cable channels as a result, which sure seems to indicate its the Seiki's. I have done nothing as yet, as 99% of TV we watch is satellite and the Seiki's are fine with that.
Seiki's definitely had an issue with not having a QAM tuner for a while there... The newer Seiki's are supposed to now have the tuner built in... but I'm sure for the next 10 years or so they will be lumped into the 'no QAM' bucket...
(and no idea when Thor will find some older ones in the warehouse and use them up ...)

Worth checking before spending money on converters or replacements...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.2
State: New York
Sounds like you might just need to turn off the antenna amplifier on the jack in the coach...
upnyfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #7

State: Alaska
My Seiki works fine on RV park cable but not on antenna even with the power booster on. So I'm installing a new antenna king antenna getting rid of the bat wing antenna (now off to the bat cave)(2016)
Buttonguy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #8

State: Connecticut
Just switched out two of ours one more to go. First one was one we already had. Seconds was a$150 Walmart special. Both smart TVs.
djcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
Lin

State: Arkansas
That was probably more a situation of the connector being damaged - I find damaged connectors all the time in RV Parks. Folks in a hurry rarely take care of other folks property.

Lin is offline   Reply With Quote