Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: North Carolina
THOR #2333
Sun damage to exterior or any interior parts?

I'm working on pulling the trigger on a 25.1 Axis or Vegas but live in a condo in Charlotte. I am not sure if my HOA will allow this to be parked here on the street because it may be too big (or be an eye sore) and I know it won't fit in the parking deck. I have a spot close by that is in the sun but I wonder what leaving it out in the elements will do to it as well? Exterior paint fading possibly? What about any interior curtains or furniture that may get direct sun or just extremely hot?

Anyone have any clever solutions!?!

Old 07-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Sure: buy a cover: ADCO Class C Designer Tyvek RV Cover - 23' to 26' - ADCO 32813 - RV Covers - Camping World

So far ours sits out in the sun during the summer months and I cover it during the winter. The only thing to prematurely degrade is the lining in the front curtains. In the summer I also plug all the roof vents, cover the shower skylight, keep the shades drawn, and use multipurpose foil to cover the front windows:
Multi-Purpose Foil, 4' x 10' - Direcsource Ltd AO2012-003 - Window Covers - Camping World
(Had to get 3 of those: One for each window in the front.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I live just south of Richmond so I have very similar conditions as yours. My coaches have always been parked in my driveway and experience about 6 to 8 hours of direct sun per day.

on the exterior a good roof cleaning and sealing once a year is usually good. I generally have mine done at the same time I take the coach in for an annual safety inspection. As to the paint a good wash and paste waxing will generally keep the paint from fading. Keep the tires covered to prevent cracking.

Inside your biggest issue is going to be humidity. Our high relative humidity levels cause mold and also deteriorate sealants and adhesives used for moldings etc... If it is not possible to use a dehumidifier, you need to keep a vent open for air circulation and periodically run the AC to reduce the humidity level inside the coach. You can also use a Desiccant dehumidifier that can be renewed in the oven. Here is the link to one such desiccant dehumidifier on Amazon

Amazon.com : H2Out Space Dryers - SD300 Series : Camping And Hiking Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

Also, keep the interior shades drawn to prevent sun fading on fabrics etc...

I am sure others will have some additional tips.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
THOR #531
Not so much as the paint, but there are a few items that are made of plastic that are not UV rated and can turn yellow. On my coach;

Cable TV Inlet Box.
Range Vent cover.
Plastic trim corners on the slide out.
Plastic trim end caps.

have all yellowed. This is after 4 years, even in the moderate Michigan sun (and the RV is kept under cover in the winter).

The simple and effective solution is that I have begun to paint these areas with white paint, as if these plastics are allowed to continue to yellow from UV damage, they can pit and become brittle and eventually crack.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
The sun will, (within one year), cause noticeable damage to both full paint and fiberglass gelcote motorhomes.

If your dealer still has any old stock but new and unsold 2013 or even 2014 models, you will notice that the paint and/or exposed bare fiberglass gelcote may be powdery at the roof line, (or they will be the most shiny RVs on the lot because of all the extra waxing and attention as they degrade).

All exterior exposed plastic is also "consumable" and will slowly degrade into a cracked and shrinked version of it's former glory.

You can slow down the process, but you cannot eliminate it without indoor storage.

A cover is the obvious option if you only use the RV on the weekends or several times a year.

People that fulltime must keep their rigs clean and polished with a UV protectant product or wax to prevent oxidation of the paint or gelcote.

Any interior items exposed to sunlight will also degrade. That includes plastic widow frames, dashboard vinyl, seat vinyl/leatherette/leather, all curtains/valences, all window shades, all exposed wood and countertops, and all interior trim pieces.

In order to protect the interior items a cover is your first defense for long term storage. Then you just have to plan on replacing the roll down shades, or accordion shades and support mechanisms when they fail in a few years.

Fulltimers will normally place reflectix, (or a similar reflective foil product like RV-sized reflective windshield shades), on the windshield to protect most of the cockpit area from UV exposure.

Essentially, anything other than glass is going to noticeably degrade over time with or without UV protection if it's exposed to the sun. It's just a matter of time and a conscious schedule of replacement.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:17 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Louisiana
THOR #3932
Sun and paint

I had a Winniebag sightseers and the only trouble was what the sun did..will be getting a smaller axis 24.1 at end of year and will have a covered carport for it and put plant tarp on sides to let air in and block sun..
Old 03-30-2016, 02:52 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
The curtain liner will turn to dust if the sun hits it very long, plan on taking out the curtains and going to a seamstress to have good liners sewed in with the first year.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the importance of a couple of good coats of wax or better, one of the new UV protective coats. I live south of Miami, and covers are great, if you don't have covered storage, but.... for a Class A like an Axis/Vegas, you need to be up on a good sized step ladder or on the roof to put it on and take it off. I had a cover 10 years ago for my Class C, but ad I get older I do not like to spend any more time on stepladders or on the roof of my RV than I have to. I have had several friends badly hurt and two killed falling from heights as or not much higher than my Axis. It is one of the leading causes of injuries for us older folks. I decided two years ago when I bought my Vegas that my "bones" we're more important to me than the exterior of my RV. I put two coats of a good "polish" for fiberglass boats on twice a year and I have not had a problem with fading of the fiberglass or the graphics - even in the hot Florida sun 12 months a year.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
We had the RV protective coat put on ours when we purchased it. Now 2 years later ours looks like a completely different color than the other Axis in our storage lot!

So far I've been able to handle the cover by myself. Adco has a video showing how you can put the cover on and off with a single person.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:23 PM   #10

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
When I had my Class C, I could park it half way under my carport and climb from the porch to the roof after dropping the cover onto the roof. That way I did not have to climb up and down the ladder dragging the cover. Even then, one slip on that slippery cover and you are toast.... Getting it off is the same thing. Because if the A/C, the TV antenna and the ladder, you just can't pull it off. When I was younger, I was willing to risk that. Not any more. Be careful Jamie.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys
Be careful Jamie.
I try to be; and only do that once per season (or twice if you also count removing it which is a lot easier).
Old 06-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #12

Model: Vegas
State: Texas
THOR #7992
Blocking sun-have cut fiberboard or display board from Office Depot in complimentary coach colors and placed between window and curtain/shade, and lay some flat on dashboard when RV stored or in very sunny conditions. This hint saved my blinds from fade and RV much cooler when using, can slip under bed mattress for easy store when not needed.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:38 PM   #13

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
We had the RV protective coat put on ours when we purchased it. Now 2 years later ours looks like a completely different color than the other Axis in our storage lot!

So far I've been able to handle the cover by myself. Adco has a video showing how you can put the cover on and off with a single person.
Yeah..... It is not that simple...... I wish I had a nice level smooth place to install mine.
Just a light wind and you have a parachute trying to take you away. Our storage place has small rocks and can catch the cover as you try and drag it along the ground. I can not install it by myself due to all the stuff I have on the top and the awnings on either side. All this stuff catches trying to pull it up and onto the RV. A good day with no breeze and it take around 45 mins to 1 hr. Mostly trying to get it un-snagged from all the stuff.
AND, it gets incredibly hot under the cover. The RV is sometimes so hot I need gloves to get back on top. We are in the hottest part of the year where I live so feel like I should not put it on so it at least can keep a bit cooler. Not sure if RV paint and decals do better with out the IR or UV rays or if the incredible heat does the most damage.....