Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #5695
surge protector, yes/no

i would like to add a surge protector to our new coach. any advise?

Old 01-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
A very good addition in my opinion...
The basic choice is hardwired or plugged in. No right/wrong answer.
In all cases will protect your rig from under/over voltage. Verifies correct wiring of the pedestal before sending power to rig. Most (if not all) have a delay before providing power to coach - intended to protect refrig/AC if the power flashes briefly (off/on of refrigeration equip while compressor was on can damage.)

Hardwired requires a little more to install (must be comfortable working in electrical boxes). There also may not be a way to bypass on newer models if there is an issue with the device (older units had a bypass that at least some manufacturers have done away with.) It also may have an electrical hum when operating. Obviously more secure as it is wired into your coach.

Plugin connects between your rig and the pedestal. No wiring needed, easy to bypass if needed. They are designed to be outside. In my case at least want to be in vertical orientation.

I use the TRC SurgeGuard - and chose the plug in model primarily for wanting to have a bypass option, and not wanting a 'hum' under the bed (where my power connections are). I use a chain/padlock to secure it to pedestal (no place to pass chain through on the unit, but wound tight they would need to cut the plug off or cut the chain...)
Surge Guard 50A Portable with LCD Display | Technology Research, LLC

It has saved me already - found a power issue at a campground resulting in low power on the leg I was on... Cut off the rig rather than having low voltage cause problems... Campground found the issue of loose/bad connection in main breaker box once I let them know.
(and I'm sure other times I'm not even aware of...)

I use a whole house surge suppressor in my sticks/brick home - that I wired into service panel - and have watched 2 units give their life in a surge to protect the house in last 15 years (while many neighbors had electronics damaged). I was in the basement about 15 feet away when one did... Was quite loud as we got a surge with power coming back on after an outage - but nothing else in the house was damaged.
Top of my list for the new house.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #3

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
I use the Progressive Industries and hasn't failed me yet. saved me twice from plugging in the MH.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
IMO not having a surge protector or a tpms is built in from the factory is nonsensical. Both protect to of the single most important systems in your coach. I am sure both are left off to keep the price down. Traveling down the highway at 60+ mph and not knowing the condition of you tires or plugging into a power supply without surge protection of all the electric systems in your $100k + coach is again nonsensical. And again JMO.

We use the Progressive Industries builtin model. We've had it kick out at least 3 times from surge spikes.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #5

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
IMO not having a surge protector or a tpms is built in from the factory is nonsensical. Both protect to of the single most important systems in your coach. I am sure both are left off to keep the price down. Traveling down the highway at 60+ mph and not knowing the condition of you tires or plugging into a power supply without surge protection of all the electric systems in your $100k + coach is again nonsensical. And again JMO.

We use the Progressive Industries builtin model. We've had it kick out at least 3 times from surge spikes.
I couldn't have stated it better. If there was ever a list of "required add-ons" to a new coach, most experienced RVers would have the TPMS and surge protection as #1 and #2 on that list.

We added hard wired systems on our first two fivers. The extra expense was worth it because we were full time and traveling 12 months out of the year. With our current MH we went with a Progressive plug in mainly because we were not full time and it was hard to justify the extra expense. The plug in style or hard wired system basically do the same thing for you.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
50,000 miles and 200+ parks and campgrounds and have never used one...
Old 01-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Flair 31E
State: New York
THOR #2025
I have the Camco voltage protector. Protected my coach a few times. Very sensitive to voltage changes.

Works as advertised...wouldn't leave home without it.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
You've been VERY lucky! I've got more miles & campgrounds than you in the last 9 years & have had 2 surge protectors fried from faulty park power. So keep your fingers & may the force be with you.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #9

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
It is cheap insurance compared to the alternative.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
as one wise fellow told us a number of years ago...
'which is cheaper...a 200-400 dollar surge protector or a new
refrigerator/heating & air, radio, tv..etc. "
'nuff said !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Cheap insurance that will pay for itself the first time you plug in to a bad pedestal!!!
Old 01-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #6005
One of the first accessories I bought after purchasing my Vegas....

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
My answer is absolutely yes...
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #14

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I guess we were just the opposite. While full timing for 3 years there were two times that we plugged into a CG and couldn't get power. Once was a bad ground and I forget what the other problem was. My surge protection worked and wouldn't let power go to my coach.

And those were just the times I know it worked while setting up. Who know during storms and power surges in the night how many times our systems saved us from expensive repairs.

I've never been killed in a car wreck but I still don't drive drunk and I wear my seat belt.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 27.7
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I guess we were just the opposite. While full timing for 3 years there were two times that we plugged into a CG and couldn't get power. Once was a bad ground and I forget what the other problem was. My surge protection worked and wouldn't let power go to my coach.

And those were just the times I know it worked while setting up. Who know during storms and power surges in the night how many times our systems saved us from expensive repairs.

I've never been killed in a car wreck but I still don't drive drunk and I wear my seat belt.
Hey Joe-FL.....I've been thinking of taking a trike on our travels....can you provide more info on how you tow yours, maybe some pics...Thanks!!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #16

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I use the progressive industries hardwired model
Like it but wish that I would have added the remote display, so on those odd times when it does trip out I can see why without flipping open the bed....

I'd bet that odds are high you'll never need it.... but I figure it's a good idea....

I have had it trip out on low voltage a couple times. Summer time, lots of RV's with AC's running, shabby looking power poles, etc...
As far as I could tell, none of those other RVs lost an AC... so you might argue that i didn't need the thing....but who knows, maybe the future lifespan of those AC's were shortened a bit.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31K
THOR #3520
I figure that doing without a surge protector is sort of like granddad putting a copper penny behind one of those old screw in fuses. You might get by with it for a while but it is always there waiting to bite you. I decided I could not afford to be without the protection of a surge protector. Lots of ways to do it on the cheap but that one I won't risk. Not just dollars but it might save a family life.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 01-17-2017, 12:31 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
One of the first accessories I bought after purchasing my Vegas....

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I checked that surge protector out on Amazon. My Axis has the round plug with a threaded ring, securing it to the coach. Will that surge protector work on mine?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:35 AM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777
I checked that surge protector out on Amazon. My Axis has the round plug with a threaded ring, securing it to the coach. Will that surge protector work on mine?
Yes: You plug it on the other end--at the pedestal not at the camper.

The connector at the camper (the round threaded plug) is actually a marine plug that is being used in RVs more and more (prior to that the cord was "hard wired" to the coach).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:36 AM   #20
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbadger777 View Post
The surge protector goes at the other end of the cord...
You plug the surge protector into the power pedestal - and the cord from your RV plugs into that.. Nothing changes at the connection to the RV.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote