Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
How about one of those Seahawk 3 inflatibles? Comes with paddles and pump t inflate. Compact fold up. Had something similar to this eons ago and the kids loved it.

2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:02 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMichael View Post
I've got a 2.3 hp Honda that ways 29 pounds that I was thinking of putting on it. I could store the motor in the rear "mega storage" because of the gas fumes.

I already own a Walker Bay 8 foot and use it as a dingy to my 20 foot Grady-White runabout, but I can't figure out a way to safely strap the boat to the outside of the RV.

My hesitancy is strapping the Porta Bote on to the side of the RV due to wind as I'm going down the road.
ports bote makes a bracket that bolts to a wall or slide, or end cap. I like them a lot. For me I'd strap it to the jeeps rack. It would be a great lake fishing boat
Get one and I'll be jealous

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:08 PM   #23

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....

I already own a Walker Bay 8 foot and use it as a dingy to my 20 foot Grady-White runabout, but I can't figure out a way to safely strap the boat to the outside of the RV.

.....cut......
How heavy is the 8’ Walker Bay? Can’t you build (or have built) a hitch-supported rack for it?
Old 08-26-2018, 11:13 PM   #24

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Has anybody done something like this? I really like boating and this seems like a good way to do both.

https://www.porta-bote.com/rv-mounting/
I had one for 14 years, they are awesome. Fairly easy to assemble and handle great in the water. I originally carried it on my 5th wheel, I had made brackets to mount it underneath as 5th wheels sit pretty high. Wouldnt work on the motorhome though. Well worth the money, I recovered almost all the money I spent on mine when I sold it last year.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:21 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You just need to purchase the proper Toad...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
You just need to purchase the proper Toad...

Me, me, me!!! I want one. Ummmm, honeeeyyy, I bought another car.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:40 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
She can bury you at sea with it...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #28

Model: thor freedom elite 28z
THOR #11979
Quote:
I've got a 2.3 hp Honda that ways 29 pounds that I was thinking of putting on it. I could store the motor in the rear "mega storage" because of the gas fumes.

My hesitancy is strapping the Porta Bote on to the side of the RV due to wind as I'm going down the road.
get your self a tow basket from amazon Hitch Cargo Carrier 60” x 24” by Vault - Haul Your Cooler & Camping Gear with This Rugged Steel Constructed Basket Carrier for Your Truck or SUV - Easily Mounts to Trailer Towing Hitches stand the boat up in the basket and tie it off to your ladder you can do it
Old 09-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #29

Model: thor freedom elite 28z
THOR #11979
camping by the month

my wife and i are looking for a cool place to set up camp at a camping ground with all utilities like all the other normal camp grounds but only in the hot summer months like july and aug we are from psl florida and we would like to get away from the humidity and heat for those two months out of the year NO SNOW just cooler like 60s 70s day time 50s at night does anyone have any good places to set up a camp for them month
Old 09-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #30

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
I tried the Portabote thing a few years ago. Had both a 12' and 14', at different times. The 12' was just too small for my wife and me and our medium size dog. They are a neat idea but, despite what their advertising propaganda proclaims, they are not easy for 1 person to set up. And, while they are not all that heavy, they are bulky to handle. I rigged a shelf for mine, under the 24' travel trailer we had at the time. Essentially, I just set the bow of the folded up Portabote on the end of the shelf, picked up the stern and slid it in on the shelf. Never had any problems with this setup. That said, its not just the boat you have to store and transport. There's life preservers, oars and/or paddles, and, if you don't like rowing, a motor or some sort. I had a 9.9 hp NIssan 4 stroke, which was a perfect fit for my boats. If you have a motor, then there's gas to haul and store and don't forget, a fire extinguisher is required by most all states. After several trips, setting all that crap up just got to be more trouble than it was worth, especially for my beat up old body that was somewhere around 65 back then. I now do the same thing with boats that I do with toad cars, that I don't pull anymore, and rent one when the need or desire for one arises. Much cheaper and less hassle in the long run.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:49 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Maryland
THOR #11820
When we were in our 30s through 60ish, we paddled a canoe frequently. It was hauled on top of our various class C motor homes. We removed the center cross board and pulled from the top of MH and pushed from the ground to get it on the roof and then it fit perfectly over the AC unit. Did this for 20 years or so.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #32

State: North Carolina
THOR #15476
Quote:
Originally Posted by unionusa View Post
get your self a tow basket from amazon Hitch Cargo Carrier 60” x 24” by Vault - Haul Your Cooler & Camping Gear with This Rugged Steel Constructed Basket Carrier for Your Truck or SUV - Easily Mounts to Trailer Towing Hitches stand the boat up in the basket and tie it off to your ladder you can do it
The 2nd smallest is 10'8" - would that extend over the roof if secured to the ladder?
Old 11-10-2020, 11:01 PM   #33

State: New Jersey
THOR #10772
https://www.seaeagle.com/FramelessFishingBoats/285fpb
https://www.seaeagle.com/FramelessFishingBoats/STS10
I am looking at getting one of these boats. You can use a trolling motor
Old 02-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #34

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Indiana
THOR #16561
When we camp within a days drive of home, my wife tows the BassBoat with the Yukon.
I have not found a way to tow the Jeep and get the boat to the campground. I have triple towed previously but now I would be over the 65 ft. length limit.