Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Travel lessons learned and observations

Starting a thread here in regards to lessons learned and things observed during travels/vacations/RV camping trips and excursions. Feel free to add to the thread.

My wife, 2 dogs and I returned from a 31 day trip to the west coast (Oregon and California) over a week ago after seeing 19 states and logging 6,517 miles on the Axis. We enjoyed it immensely and was a dream fulfilled as we have been wanting to do something like this for many years. Perhaps not the dogs though, as they probably would have been happy to stay home and chase squirrels.

These are some of the things I/we learned:

- My lovely wife is a great navigator/co-pilot/pilot. She helped steer me in the right direction when the GPS was being questioned and was welcomed relief when she handled the rig quite well for several hundred miles.

- The dogs are pretty good traveling companions. When the RV is moving, they find their spots between the two front seats and sleep until we stop.

- The Axis 24.1 is a great size for us and we enjoy the floor plan. It performed with great satisfaction and flawlessly. Was able to maintain no less than 50 mph traversing some pretty steep mountain grades without revving the engine to really high rpms (no toad).

- Cruise and tow/haul are good to utilize. Tow/haul works really well on the downhill grades (8% on a couple) with some curves in bedded occasionally. Never felt unsafe.

- Much, much less fun driving when winds are 20-25 mph and gusting to 45+ over Wyoming. For a couple of hundred miles, steering wheel was in near vertical position quite often until the gust hits pushing the box the other way. Concentration was required to keep it between the lines and knuckles became white. I don't have the safe-t plus steering stabilizer and I seriously doubt it would have helped much.

- The Oregon and California coast is just beautiful and the pacific coast highway (101) gives one many beautiful vantage points.

- The Redwoods are some gigantic beauties. Nature at its best. Thank God they've been preserved as much as possible.

- Take along plenty of quarters ($100. might be enough) for laundry on the long trips as very few laundromats have change machines and Wal-marts like to hang on to their quarters or don't have many available. (Thank you, young lady in the pharmacy somewhere in New Mexico for sparing the $7. In quarters or I might have had to go commando.)

- Many state parks in Missouri and Nebraska have electric only hookups. They do provide fresh water to fill tanks however and have dump stations.

- There are sooooooo many 18 wheelers on the freeways out west carrying the cargo. Long trains also. Truck, after truck, after truck abound.

- While there's much infrastructure construction going on our highways and bridges, there's so much more in need. Hear me I-5 in CA (Sacramento!) for so many miles, I-40 pretty much all the way across Arizona and I-20 around Shreveport? Just to name a few areas with potholes, unevenness, ditches and general extreme roughness.

- There are so many beautiful, changing landscapes across our great country and some are just breathtaking.

-Standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona was a great side trip.

- Sunsets/sunrises over the desert are picture paintings and unforgettable.

- RVers make for some friendly, enjoyable conversations everywhere. If it's talking about the home on wheels, where ya been(?), where ya going(?), military family, or the pets, it's all good.

- The Axis still gets attention/recognition. Couldn't count the times someone commented favorably about the size and looks. One lady approached me at a gas station after she had pulled her car up to a stop nearby asking me about it. I ended up giving her the 5 cent tour while my wife walked the dogs.

I'm sure there were other lessons learned I failed to mention here, but the main takeaway is there's a lot of beautiful country and great places to visit and enjoy in our America and its just waiting for us to visit.

Can't wait until, as Willie would say, "On the road again..."

Old 11-08-2017, 05:53 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Very good write-up. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I agree with you that America is a very beautiful country. It is too bad us Canadians can only stay for 6 months, as I miss revisiting most of the Northern States to spend the winter in the Southwest.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Nice write up. We so enjoy our coach while watching the countryside go by. We have up to 5 grandkids seeing the USA with us.

Couldn't agree more on the infrastructure.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Sounds like a nice trip. My wife & I are going to get started traveling now that we are both retired.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
GREAT job!!
Thanks for posting your observations; we need even more threads like this!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

THOR #1123
Thank you all for the kind comments. I enjoy reading of other's travels and experiences also. Another reason I like this Forum so much other than the knowledge gained from repairs, mods, etc.

Canada is a very beautiful country as well. We've only seen a portion of it having made a few trips to Toronto, a day trip to Ottawa and seeing Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. Would like to see more. I hear Vancouver is quite nice. Maybe a future trip during warmer temps?

I failed to mention we averaged around 10 mpg on the trip depending on head and tailwinds along with flat or mountainous terrain. As low as 8.2 and high around 11.4. I filled up several times with 86 octane out west which replaces our 87 octane with no noticeable difference in mpg or engine performance.

Also, had a couple of rocks thrown back on the big windshield at different times causing small chips. One in Nebraska by a truck and another one in Texas by a small car. Both on driver's side about 4" apart just out of the field of vision. Guess that bus windshield is a magnet for flying debris. Both already repaired and now unnoticeable.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #7

Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
The drive north from our home in Wenatchee,WA on highway 97 is a beautiful trip up into Canada. I realize you are from Georgia, but if you ever decide to make another trip onto the west coast that is a great trip for scenery & wineries. The Lake louise, Banff area is awesome.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:18 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Thanks for the detailed write up! Lots of great observations and yes, we need more threads like this.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Missouri
THOR #5711
Thanks Larry. We’re glad you two were able to have such a great trip. We’re planning a trip west next summer including Banff, Jasper, Glacier, Yellowstone and the Badlands. Can’t wait! I️ did get the safe-t-plus and front and rear stabilizers installed and they do make a positive difference. Maybe we’ll see you again in the FL panhandle this winter.
Lagrandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:04 AM   #10

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Your Trip

Your comments about the winds in Wyoming remind me of my first drive in north Palm Springs, CA in the I-10 with gusting winds. I hate to think how white my knuckles would have been without the Saf-T-Plus that I just had installed! Good comments. We still like our 24.1 Axis and cannot wait until our next trip, no matter how short it may be.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:39 AM   #11

Model: ACE
THOR #9143
Smile

So... tell me more about this please. Cruise I know. Tow/haul not. Something on all motorhomes? I'm new (since Aug) and haven't made a trip more than 50 miles from home. Getting ready for Memphis but for when I do go to the mountains maybe this is a good thing to know.
By the way, great write up. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks.

- Cruise and tow/haul are good to utilize. Tow/haul works really well on the downhill grades (8% on a couple) with some curves in bedded occasionally. Never felt unsafe.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo Kid View Post
So... tell me more about this please. Cruise I know. Tow/haul not. Something on all motorhomes? I'm new (since Aug) and haven't made a trip more than 50 miles from home. Getting ready for Memphis but for when I do go to the mountains maybe this is a good thing to know.
By the way, great write up. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks.

Tow/haul is the button at the end of the shifter. When you press it you're in tow/haul mode. In that mode the engine computer changes the shift points (downshifts earlier, upshifts later) and tapping on the break when going downhill causes a downshift to take advantage of engine breaking.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #13

THOR #1123
Tow/haul really preserves the wear and heat on brakes if they’re used too much on steep grades. I equate it to a jet plane reversing engines after landing. When activated there’s a symbol that shows up on the instrument panel in case you forget that it’s on, but you pretty much realize when it’s being used. I’m so glad it was brought to light on this forum awhile back and I found it.

Think it’s installed on all Ford built chassis but could be wrong.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Tow/haul really preserves the wear and heat on brakes if they’re used too much on steep grades. I equate it to a jet plane reversing engines after landing. When activated there’s a symbol that shows up on the instrument panel in case you forget that it’s on, but you pretty much realize when it’s being used. I’m so glad it was brought to light on this forum awhile back and I found it.

Think it’s installed on all Ford built chassis but could be wrong.
Pretty much all Ford vehicles have tow/haul now.

Also keep in mind that when you start the engine tow/haul is always off.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:26 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Glad y'all had a great trip and thanks for the write up. As to driving in hills, mountains, etc., altho tow mode is good, I wish Ford would include a manual shift mode on the E450 chassis. My F150 pickup has a 6 spd tranny and it has a manual shift position on the gear selector. In the "M" mode, the tranny won't shift, up or down, unless you do it with a little toggle thumb switch, located on the shift stick. Its great for climbing or going down long hills and when navigating mountain roads. Provides driver with a lot more control and cuts wear on tranny and brakes. Sure wish our Axis had that feature.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #16
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
GOOD MORNING LARRY ! We enjoyed reading your account of the trip. We hope to do the same next year !

I know you have read all the posts which have come through the Forum...but, seriously consider replacing the bump stops with the Sumo Springs. We fight those gusty winds whenever we head north, south or west from our K.C. area home.

Ron chose the Sumos rather than Safe T Plus (still thinking about it) .. the Sumo upgrade helped noticeably and he is very happy.

by the way ... WE LOVE OUR AXIS 24.1 .. KC Kitty loves his bunk and expects it to be lowered whenever we stop for the night. He is a bit demanding when it comes to his 'creature' comforts !

Looking forward to hearing more from you !

Happy Camping !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #17

Model: ACE
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Pretty much all Ford vehicles have tow/haul now.

Also keep in mind that when you start the engine tow/haul is always off.
JamieGeek, Larry,

THANK YOU for this info.
I just checked our coach to be sure it's there and it is.
Button at the end of shifter and it lights up in the dash when engaged.
Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Excellent write-up, thank you for sharing!!! Especially can appreciate your comment on having quarters for the laundromats. I carry an old plastic coffee can full of quarters, I keep it in the house and put my change, quarters only, in there between trips, then top off if we are going on extended trips. Comes in handy!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!
Old 11-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #19
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Excellent write-up, thank you for sharing!!! Especially can appreciate your comment on having quarters for the laundromats. I carry an old plastic coffee can full of quarters, I keep it in the house and put my change, quarters only, in there between trips, then top off if we are going on extended trips. Comes in handy!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!
YES ! we do that too ... not only is it essential for laundry .. but, also, for those States which have toll collection booths..
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #20

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
YES ! we do that too ... not only is it essential for laundry .. but, also, for those States which have toll collection booths..
Very good point, forgot about the dreaded tollbooths!!!

Thanks for the reminder!