Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Louisiana
THOR #7882
Thanks LT

Old 03-02-2019, 07:48 PM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
We we're also trying to decide this question. We sat down and looked at every time we wished we had a toad, and how many times we expect to need one in our trips this year.
For us we decided it makes far more sense to rent something on the occasions we need it.
Ymmv
Old 03-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #23

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: California
THOR #11880
We are trying to decide the same thing. Our Miramar has a #8000 tow capacity. We don't want to have to buy another vehicle. We have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe that can be towed 4 down and we are thinking of towing it.

2018 Thor Miramar 35.3

paluka44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds (31Z) on E-450
State: Maryland
THOR #701
Ford Fusion Hybrid

I have a 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid. It doesn't get any easier than a hybrid for towing. Get it with the key in your pocket, push start/stop, place in "N", push start/stop, get out, lock door, tow away!

You will need to use external brake lights as there apparently isn't a way to connect to the factory lights.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #25

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
For me it was all about cost. None of my current cars could be flat towed. I found a one owner 2013 Ford Focus for $5K. It’s perfect. Got the hatchback, fold down the back seats and all the dogs fit. We really don’t drive it that much.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #26

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: British Columbia
THOR #10751
Went with Smart

Really depends on what you want to do with your toad once you get to your destination and also, do you plan to use it for anything other than just a road.
For us, I wanted an extremely light vehicle that holds 2 ppl and a couple small dogs.
I wanted a toad because we can’t always bring our motorcycle. (We have a Cruiserlift system. Seemed last year, every time I brought our MC with us it rained, lol.
We didn’t need another vehicle at home but if we did, it would be a small commuter vehicle.
Lastly, I wanted an automatic transmission so my wife could drive (she hates manuals)
We landed on a 2010 Smart Car convertible. (Cheap to buy and lots on the market.)
I installed Blue Ox tow plate and Tow bar. (I also like RoadMaster but got a steal of a deal on Amazon for Blue Ox)
The car is about 1800lb and do not notice it behind us. It is short so turning is easy... plus, overall length of rig and toad is the shortest out there.
I could go on and on but those are a few things to consider.

Good luck on your hunt. Attached are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A01AF1E-21AF-4A98-90F7-3367FB061B20.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	15918   Click image for larger version

Name:	33F3E5CE-20AE-4A4A-AB04-C379A7C819C5.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	15919  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1C3BD66A-CFF5-4826-834C-1A1D46DC5AEC.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	15920   Click image for larger version

Name:	C5913106-72C6-4C11-8B2E-7BE642CA3D73.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	15921  

Old 03-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #27

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
What did you have to do to prepare the Jeep for towing?
Nothing, you put it in 4WD then put transmission into neutral then move from 4WD to neutral then put vehicle into park. Do all this AFTER you hook up to your tow bars. We have the Blue Ox and it works great. Don’t even know it’s being towed. Before unhooking put vehicle transmission in neutral and then move 4WD level from neutral to 4WD to 2wd, vehicle back into park and then you can safely unhook. We have an automatic transmission on the Jeep Wrangler.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #28

State: Alberta
THOR #12493
I Tow a Chevy Cruise

I bought a new 2018 Chevy Cruise with a manual transmission. Looked at Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk but was concerned about the problems and expense of the wiring harness. We figured the other Jeep models would be too rough of a ride for us.

The Cruise was much cheaper to buy, is great on gas and fun to drive with the manual. We had a hitch receiver put on the back for our bike rack. The installer put an electrical connection to the motorhome so only prep to tow is hook up, put car in neutral and turn the key to on.

It's not cheap to set up a car to tow so decided to use a new vehicle so hopefully won't have to replace it for many years.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:14 PM   #29

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
For me it was all about cost. None of my current cars could be flat towed. I found a one owner 2013 Ford Focus for $5K. It’s perfect. Got the hatchback, fold down the back seats and all the dogs fit. We really don’t drive it that much.

That’s about my story on my 2014 Focus. After I retired I found that we barely needed two cars. I sold my gorgeous 2016 Mustang, bought the Focus and put the difference into the RV. Looks like I’ll only put about 5-6,000 miles on the car each year. We were content to travel with a pair of mopeds and occasionally renting a car until we decided to sunbird for a month in Florida. Couldn’t do it without a car and couldn’t rent for a month. Even though we will be set up to tow I don’t believe we will do it very often. We’ll be taking a 6 week trip to the northwest this summer and won’t be bringing the car and probably not the mopeds either. It all depends on how you like to travel.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #30

State: Florida
THOR #11545
Ford Flex AWD

We tow an AWD Ford Flex. It has 3 rows of seating for up to 7seats, or we can seat 5 and use the back for dogs, coolers, etc.

On one trip we separated from the RV park and bridged across to a island for tent camping. It’s been great to have the capacity for everyone and everything we need. I recommend using invisibility-brake.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:36 AM   #31

Model: Tuscany xte 40 ax
State: Illinois
THOR #14029
We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee limited that has the neutral transfer case function and is also are primary driving vehicle that is a automatic transmission. Why have a tow vehicle that just sits. Love the Cherokee and is the best flat tow vehicle made.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:26 AM   #32

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
I am on my 4th Jeep in 23 years as a toad, all automatics. Can’t beat them. They need to be 4 wheel drive. All I do is put the transfer case in natural, the transmission in park and then go on my way. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2019, 03:50 AM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glensouth View Post
I am on my 4th Jeep in 23 years as a toad, all automatics. Can’t beat them. They need to be 4 wheel drive. All I do is put the transfer case in natural, the transmission in park and then go on my way. Good luck!

If only they weren’t so darned expensive!
Old 03-03-2019, 03:54 AM   #34

State: Washington
THOR #6433
The biggest things to consider are so you already have a vehicle that is towable? If not are you already in the market for a new car? And if your answers are no you may want to look at using a dolly until the time comes for another vehicle. For us it was an easy decision the wife already had a wrangler unlimited. If we didn’t have a car that was already 4 down towable I am not sure that I we would had bought something just for that reason.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:49 AM   #35

State: Nevada
THOR #13257
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyC View Post
I am considering towing a vehicle behind my motorhome. Thoughts on what vehicles are the best to tow ? I am leaning to purchase a manual transmission Jeep.
I bought a Honda fit with manual transmission in 2015. Less then $20,000 out the door with tax title and tags in California. Great little 4 door car with a sunroof, cruise control and electric windows and door locks. Comfortable with 4 adults and easy installed tow brackets and wiring. I have a Stay and Play brake system installed. It is light roomy and reasonably priced. I have towed it over 8500 mile and love it. Another attribute is the odometer doesn't register mileage when it is towed. Lots of bang for the buck. Weight is about 2400 lbs.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:35 AM   #36

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #13710
Towing a 2012 Jeep Liberty with 4WD for the last 4 years no problems.
Transfer case in neutral and trans in park. Incidentals and a falcon2 tow bar. Very happy.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:12 PM   #37

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Wisconsin
THOR #10220
Toads

A nice discussion on which Toad to use. I’m doing something a little different. I tow a Smartcar with a curb weight of 1,860lbs and it sits on a 6’x12’ Karavan utility trailer that has a max weight capacity of 2,100lbs. At under 3,000lbs total weight the trailer does not have to be registered in my state (Wisconsin) but the nice folks at our DMV recommended that I title, register and license it to avoid problems that could arise in other states that require the trailer to be T,R&Led. We tow the trailer with our Thor Vegas that has a max towing capability of 8,000lbs so it’s like we have nothing behind us when going down the road. Ray
Old 03-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #38
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drau2th View Post
A nice discussion on which Toad to use. I’m doing something a little different. I tow a Smartcar with a curb weight of 1,860lbs and it sits on a 6’x12’ Karavan utility trailer that has a max weight capacity of 2,100lbs. At under 3,000lbs total weight the trailer does not have to be registered in my state (Wisconsin) but the nice folks at our DMV recommended that I title, register and license it to avoid problems that could arise in other states that require the trailer to be T,R&Led. We tow the trailer with our Thor Vegas that has a max towing capability of 8,000lbs so it’s like we have nothing behind us when going down the road. Ray
Ok going to play weight police

Just a note: Your Vegas doesn't have a max towing capacity of 8,000lbs your hitch does. Your max towing capacity is the lessor of your hitch towing capacity and your GCWR minus your coach'es actual weight (of course it is possible that your coach weighs out such that GCWR-weight > 8,000lbs but you don't know until you do the calculation).

Ok weight police "rant" done...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:49 PM   #39

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drau2th View Post
That’s a nice set-up
You don’t need to worry about getting into situations where you can’t back-up
Because with a standard trailer, you can back-up
Old 03-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #40

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Following this as well. We're new ACE 29.3 owners, looking to purchase a vehicle to tag along with us. Leaning toward a Wrangler Unlimited, but would also like a pickup. Will be selling our '13 Tundra, which we used to pull the Mini Lite that we traded for the 29.3.

By the way, where y'at in LA, Sammy? We're transplants from New Orleans and Shreveport.