Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Oregon
THOR #9314
Undercarriage of vegas 2019 27.7

Does anyone have pictures of the undercarriage of the Vegas? Am trying different approaches to figure out why all the dust in kitchen drawers and cabinet. I am going to slide a long mirror under area. Also plan on putting a flashlight after dark in cabinet and also slide it under motorhome to see if I see any light either way.
I wanted to go in to repair shop with some things i have tried.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #2

THOR #9314
Also can a person use their garden hose and spray the undercarriage to rinse it off or would that be a bad idea?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #3

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gc.lonefir View Post
Also can a person use their garden hose and spray the undercarriage to rinse it off or would that be a bad idea?
More than likely its saw dust from manufacturing. We swept up dust for months. Then the a.c. stop . Dealer had to clean air ducts that was full of saw dust.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #4

THOR #9314
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonguy52 View Post
more than likely its saw dust from manufacturing. We swept up dust for months. Then the a.c. Stop . Dealer had to clean air ducts that was full of saw dust.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2386.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	13043
Old 09-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
didn't you start a similar post last week with these same pictures? Maybe it was someone else but this is ringing the memory bell. Driving in the rain will keep the bottom clean. I would spray pressurized water anywhere on the RV. Lightly sprinkle things.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #6

THOR #9314
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
didn't you start a similar post last week with these same pictures? Maybe it was someone else but this is ringing the memory bell. Driving in the rain will keep the bottom clean. I would spray pressurized water anywhere on the RV. Lightly sprinkle things.

Yes, when you suggested sawdust, I was just sending you a picture for feedback.
Thank you for confirming i can spray water on the undercarriage and not mess anything up.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I saw a youtube of a guy with a Vegas. He said the same thing - went down dirt road and found dust everywhere inside his rig.

He looked under the RV and he had like a 3 inch by since inch open hole where wires same inside (I think the the fuse box).

Look up "2trailhikers" on youtube. He has his own channel with lots of useful videos. But they recently change thier tube name.

I bet if you search you will see his hole and how he fixed it with expandable foam and wire mesh.

Let us know what you find and attach pics, Good luck.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This video?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:14 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Actually my computer types for me sometimes with out consulting me...I WOULDN'T spray pressurized water anywhere on the RV. My bad!!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:48 PM   #10

THOR #9314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I saw a youtube of a guy with a Vegas. He said the same thing - went down dirt road and found dust everywhere inside his rig.

He looked under the RV and he had like a 3 inch by since inch open hole where wires same inside (I think the the fuse box).

Look up "2trailhikers" on youtube. He has his own channel with lots of useful videos. But they recently change thier tube name.

I bet if you search you will see his hole and how he fixed it with expandable foam and wire mesh.

Let us know what you find and attach pics, Good luck.

Found the video. Thank you. Watched how to winterize with air, my husband had several air compressors and lots of tools, since his passing have learned and used many of them, now i am going to see if amazon has some kind of connector i can put on air compressor and give give it a try. Anyone know where low point drain is on 2018 vegas 27.7????
Old 09-24-2018, 11:12 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Yep that it JamieGeek. I followed his site for my inverter install (did the same exact one he did). I like his channel.

let us know what you find so we can let other know as well. I bet its not too uncommon of a problem.

I checked mine out in the first few months. At first its overwelming what you need to check over. So just pick one area at a time an check everything out that you can = tighen screws/plumbing fitting, check electral connectons, heater, AC/DC, H.Water (had to fix a few connections - some very loose) check LP lines, used 150 + zip ties inside and out.

Then caulk/undercoated underside (in corners mostly) to protect wood floor/cargo compartments. Check Ford chassis bolts etc. List is long but after a year I touched almost all of the THOR nut and bolts and did a ton of preventative maintain things on my RV. The Ford stuff was solid but I check as must of that as I could.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 09-25-2018, 12:23 AM   #12

THOR #9314
[emoji43][emoji848][emoji854] o boy sounds like I shouldn’t have ever bought a motorhome.

No clue how or where to check elec connectors.

I can tighten a screw though. Talked with Thor and described the dust issue, they said I could request the Warranty repair place to check from bumper to bumper undercarriage for spots that are open and get them fixed under Warranty.

I had already planned to yearly have the appliances, LP and water lines, roof/caulking and undercarriage checked.
I had heard about the elec connectors but do not know how I would check those......
Old 09-25-2018, 12:24 AM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
[QUOTE=Long & Winding road;146265]Yep that it JamieGeek. I followed his site for my inverter install (did the same exact one he did). I like his channel.

I used the same video to install the same inverter in my Vegas 25.5 (under the twin bed). Works great for appartment size residential fridge. Those were the first mods I did after purchase. The videos are a great help.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:48 AM   #14

THOR #12231
[QUOTE=pavemike;146284]
Quote:
Yep that it JamieGeek. I followed his site for my inverter install (did the same exact one he did). I like his channel.

I used the same video to install the same inverter in my Vegas 25.5 (under the twin bed). Works great for appartment size residential fridge. Those were the first mods I did after purchase. The videos are a great help.
Yep, Same here. I was going to install a small 300 or 500 watt just to run the one TV and plug in the lap top until I stumbled across that video. For the same price I power both inside TV's, DVD player, two or more outlets. I love it so far.

I also did a simular battery upgrade.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:53 AM   #15

THOR #12231
Quote:
[emoji43][emoji848][emoji854] o boy sounds like I shouldn’t have ever bought a motorhome.

No clue how or where to check elec connectors.

I can tighten a screw though. Talked with Thor and described the dust issue, they said I could request the Warranty repair place to check from bumper to bumper undercarriage for spots that are open and get them fixed under Warranty.

I had already planned to yearly have the appliances, LP and water lines, roof/caulking and undercarriage checked.
I had heard about the elec connectors but do not know how I would check those......
Well I have been pretty handy around the house and my own cars and Jeep but I never had an RV.

But after reading on this forum for TWO years and watching a ton of youtube I been able to tackle about anything (so far). Sometimes it takes me longer to complete (and I ask a ton of quieston here) but afterwards I could to it twice as quick and it gives me that satisfaction of doing it myself.

Not to mention if on the road I would be able to pinpoint the problem and repair myself.

Once you get the kinks worked out of your new RV you will be fine. But always be looking for trouble before it finds you.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #16

THOR #9314
Quote:
Well I have been pretty handy around the house and my own cars and Jeep but I never had an RV.

But after reading on this forum for TWO years and watching a ton of youtube I been able to tackle about anything (so far). Sometimes it takes me longer to complete (and I ask a ton of quieston here) but afterwards I could to it twice as quick and it gives me that satisfaction of doing it myself.

Not to mention if on the road I would be able to pinpoint the problem and repair myself.

Once you get the kinks worked out of your new RV you will be fine. But always be looking for trouble before it finds you.

So can you give me some hints on where I might easily see the electric connectors your talking about so I can go and look, to know what I am looking for.... thank You
Old 10-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #17

Model: Axis 25.4
State: California
THOR #6582
Quote:
Found the video. Thank you. Watched how to winterize with air, my husband had several air compressors and lots of tools, since his passing have learned and used many of them, now i am going to see if amazon has some kind of connector i can put on air compressor and give give it a try. Anyone know where low point drain is on 2018 vegas 27.7????
I'm guessing as mine is a 25.4 but the water pump and tank are under the bed in mine. One valve has a 90* fitting into (through) the floor. That's it but mine drained painfully slow so I used the outside shower to speed it up. You could call Thor customer service for advise.
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:51 PM   #18

THOR #12231
Quote:
So can you give me some hints on where I might easily see the electric connectors your talking about so I can go and look, to know what I am looking for.... thank You
Basically they are everywhere (hidden). Under the drawers, behind cabinet doors, behind removeable panels and under the RV etc. But the main part I would check is behind the fuse box (Usually under the bed) that has both 120 v (AC) and 12 v (DC) in one box. Some of those might be loose (one or two of mine were). Then as you have time check under everywhere else that you can.

Also check the tightness of the plumbing (Hot, cold as well as drain pipes) while you are in these compartments. Most you can just tighten by hand. I found few of mine very loose so Im sure after a few 1000 miles they would be leaking.

I also used 150+ zip ties (mostly under RV) to secure the factory wiring. Must of it is just dangling and over time will cause you problem.

Let us know if you have any more question.

Its not very hard.... just takes time to check every system out for loose connections or potental problems.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #19

THOR #9314
Quote:
Basically they are everywhere (hidden). Under the drawers, behind cabinet doors, behind removeable panels and under the RV etc. But the main part I would check is behind the fuse box (Usually under the bed) that has both 120 v (AC) and 12 v (DC) in one box. Some of those might be loose (one or two of mine were). Then as you have time check under everywhere else that you can.

Also check the tightness of the plumbing (Hot, cold as well as drain pipes) while you are in these compartments. Most you can just tighten by hand. I found few of mine very loose so Im sure after a few 1000 miles they would be leaking.

I also used 150+ zip ties (mostly under RV) to secure the factory wiring. Must of it is just dangling and over time will cause you problem.

Let us know if you have any more question.

Its not very hard.... just takes time to check every system out for loose connections or potental problems.

Thank you. Have you got a picture of what i am looking for?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:18 PM   #20

THOR #12231
Here is one with the little door open and what it looks like under my bed.

Look for a fuse box (should NOT be hidden) and push the top part to open cover. You shoud see the 120v breakers (like your home) and 12v fuses (like your car).

Make sure all power is off and your not hooked up to shore power. 4 screws takes the cover off and used your screw driver to tighten everything that a wire goes into. Dont be afraid to tug lightly on the wires to make sure they are secure. Then look behind the box (if you can like mine) and see if you can tighen anything else (I think all you can do is tighen the 12v gound bar - but take a look around for anything that dont look right or loose.

Take pictures of anything you have in question and start a new posting with your quiestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4690.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	13643   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4679.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	13644