Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Arkansas
THOR #5647
Gerry's Full-Time Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Yesterday was my 70th Birthday. To celebrate, I got in my rig, "Sinatra" and got the heck out of Dodge. I've been preparing for several months. My personal stuff went into storage. My furniture went to Goodwill. And I started on my adventure to look for America. My first stop is Yreka, CA on my way up to the Olympic Peninsula. I have stops along the way to visit friends and family. Then I head east. The only future reservation is on August 21 for the full eclipse. I highly recommend that you reserve your camping spots now. Many RV parks are already full for that weekend.

This first stop is at Wiiaka RV Park in Yreka CA. It's a good campground that I have used several times before while driving into Oregon. It was 7 hours from where I used to live. And 7 hours is a long drive.

I plan on using this thread to document my journey.

Ok Gerry, I'll bite. Why Sinatra? And if you say "because I did it my way" I'll hurl..[emoji57]

Old 04-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #22

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Lake Pleasant RV park in Bothell. I don't have info in front of me but I found it on RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
Lake Pleasant RV Park is very nice we have stayed there twice (July 2013 & 2016). You need to call them to get a reservation (needed).
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #23

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
A couple of questions for my Washington state friends:
  1. How difficult is it to get an RV with a toad on the Bainbridge-Seattle Ferry. I can't back up with a toad.
  2. I'll be heading to Spokane from Seattle on US90. I figure a half way point is Moses Lake. Any recommendations for RV overnight spots in the area?
Old 04-20-2017, 10:06 PM   #24

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTraveler View Post
Ok Gerry, I'll bite. Why Sinatra? And if you say "because I did it my way" I'll hurl..[emoji57]
It's a Vegas.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 PM   #25
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Can one of youi please message me the campground that allows storage and where it is? That sounds like a great idea!
LAKE PLEASANT, BOTHEL, WASHINGTON west of Interstate .. secluded, but not far from stores etc.

It is a nice, well kept older rv park....they allowed us to park our rv(toyhauler) in a side area with elec. hookup only...so refrig can run....cost per day was minimal...we drove truck to Vancouver and parked it in lot across from dock. I researched every way to get to Vancouver...and we decided, since we had the truck this was best.

We drove up the day before and stayed at a small motel on the coast and drove in the next morning with plenty time to spare.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 AM   #26

THOR #2271
I've maged to make it to the Olympic Penensula with my trusty toad. Port Townsend is beautiful and historic..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	4763   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1816.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	4764  

Old 04-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #27

THOR #2271
Fay Bainbridge State Park across from Seattle. This is a great park. Just water hookup. But right on the water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1552.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	4774  
Old 04-29-2017, 02:02 AM   #28

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
It's a Vegas.
Better Sinatra than ELVIS (Elvis would probably be over gross vehicle weight)
Old 05-05-2017, 12:28 AM   #29

THOR #2271
Hi all,
I made it to Coeur d'Alene,Idaho When I left Bainbridge Island, I took the long way aoound (south to Tacoma) rather than the Ferry. 1) Traffic in Seattle was terrible. 2) It was either $84 or $92 to put the Vegas and Toad on the Ferry (40' under/over). 3) It was May Day and many marches going on in downtown Seattle.

I went to Moses Lake. The best part was the drive up he Columbia Gorge to the Grand Coulee Dam. As amazing as the dam was, it pales in comparrison to the surrounding beauty.

Please advise me of other amazing places in Idaho that I should not miss.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1818.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	4823  
Old 05-05-2017, 06:31 PM   #30

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Idaho is amazing!!

Took our grands to Idaho last summer to see Craters of the Moon National Monument. It is an absolutely amazing place, and once out there (really out there) you will feel that you are out of this world. Literally. We also stopped at the Atomic City reactor museum. We all are kinda science and history nerdy and liked that too. There were two nesting pairs of horned owls out back of the parking lot last year. We stayed in Arco at a campground on the road to Craters of the Moon. The campground was clean, well run, and had a restaurant on the grounds with the best smoked potatoes and ribs we have ever had. We did not stay at Craters of the Moon National Monument campground because at the time it had no facilities at all, and was scheduled to close and undergo total refurbishment the week after we were there.
Have fun and drive safe.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #31

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #7349
[ We stayed in Arco at a campground on the road to Craters of the Moon. The campground was clean, well run, and had a restaurant on the grounds with the best smoked potatoes and ribs we have ever had.

Craters of the Moon is in my OneNote folder for Places to go. Thanks for the post.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:47 AM   #32

Model: Hurricane 30q
State: Ontario
THOR #4175
I love the updates, please keep up current on your voyage.

Jim
Old 05-10-2017, 01:20 AM   #33

THOR #2271
One Month Report...
I've made through 5 states: California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and now I am in Montana. All in all it has been a fun trip. I probably started too early. I should have gone south first. I'm currently at the west gate of Glacier National Park. After this is Yellowstone and Craters of the Moon. The picture is from the RV Park. Those are the Rockies!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1607.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	4876  
Old 05-10-2017, 08:23 PM   #34

State: Michigan
THOR #5189
Quote:
Fay Bainbridge State Park across from Seattle. This is a great park. Just water hookup. But right on the water.

Nice picture thanks for sharing.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:20 AM   #35

THOR #2271
Any suggestions for West Yellowstone?
Old 05-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #36
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Any suggestions for West Yellowstone?
from us... not too much ... other than you are near the Grand Tetons and there are some spectacular views...if you are on the west side...there is white water river rafting on the Gallatin River.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #37

THOR #2271
I've made it to Yellowstone. Before this I was in Butte, Montana where I woke up to no water. I looked outside and saw snow on the ground. The city water hose had frozen. Luckily I always travel with 1/3 tank of fresh water. I turned on the waste heaters so that I could drain the tanks before leaving.

I continue to have to fix the valences. Using screws on a thin particle board is plain stupid. Ever heard of mollies?

I'm amazed that I haven't seen any other Vegas/Axis on the road. Yellowstone has tons of RVs.

Next stop will be Grand Tetons.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	4915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1633.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	4916  

Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 PM   #38

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Yesterday was my 70th Birthday. To celebrate, I got in my rig, "Sinatra" and got the heck out of Dodge. I've been preparing for several months. My personal stuff went into storage. My furniture went to Goodwill. And I started on my adventure to look for America. My first stop is Yreka, CA on my way up to the Olympic Peninsula. I have stops along the way to visit friends and family. Then I head east. The only future reservation is on August 21 for the full eclipse. I highly recommend that you reserve your camping spots now. Many RV parks are already full for that weekend.

This first stop is at Wiiaka RV Park in Yreka CA. It's a good campground that I have used several times before while driving into Oregon. It was 7 hours from where I used to live. And 7 hours is a long drive.

I plan on using this thread to document my journey.
Congratulations. You're doing what i'm thinking and planning to do. I'll be reading your posts. How hard is it to break away from all the stuff and just go?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:40 AM   #39

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
Congratulations. You're doing what i'm thinking and planning to do. I'll be reading your posts. How hard is it to break away from all the stuff and just go?
It was the most terrifying 2 weeks of my life deciding what to donate to Goodwill; what to put in the RV; what to put in storage. A month later, I am OK with my decisions.

Zen saying, "A journey of a thousand miles starts with one small step". Best decision I ever made.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:02 AM   #40

THOR #2271
Wolf spotted
Today I was driving the Grand Loop Rd in Yellowstone. There were two cars stopped on the road. I stopped and thought, "Oh joy, another tourist blocking traffic because there was a buffalo on the side of the road". But when I looked over, a wolf was staring at me. I reached for my iPhone to take a picture - and it was gone. That alone made the trip to Yellowstone worth it.