Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arkansas
THOR #6371
Solenoid

I was wondering just what the symptoms were of the disconnect solenoid was. I have had 6 mechanics trying to figure out what is wrong with my 24.1 Axis (2016 Ford Motor). My symptoms are:
No lights on the dash
No clicking sound
Unable to use Emergency start
What’s been done was a new solenoid under the hood that goes to the starter
Currently the only way to start it is to by pass this solenoid with a screw driver which is a 2 person operations—so I either need to find a friend to travel with me or get it fixed.
So please what were your symptoms or are these the same thing (mine was under the dash. Thanks

Old 02-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ohio
THOR #21032
Hello,

I read an old post of yours.

Did you ever find where the chassis battery disconnect solenoid was located? Trying to find it on my 2011 Thor Ace 29.1

Having the same problem you were. No power unless connected to shorepower of generator turned on.

Thank you,
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 PM   #23

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscanlon View Post
Hello,

I read an old post of yours.

Did you ever find where the chassis battery disconnect solenoid was located? Trying to find it on my 2011 Thor Ace 29.1

Having the same problem you were. No power unless connected to shorepower of generator turned on.

Thank you,

I had a similar problem recently where my batteries weren't being charged when plugged into shore power but I did have the 12 volt lights in the coach. My initial thought was the battery disconnect solenoid which I couldn't find. I called Thor and was told that the solenoid was in the Battery Control Center which is located in the engine compartment, drivers side upper corner. Mine is a RV Customs Product, model TH-1020. Go to their site and download their trouble shooting guide. Their customer service was very helpful.

BUT before you tear into the Control Center, check your grounds!!!! My problem turned out to be a bad ground connection to the frame in the coach battery compartment. The connection appeared good and were tight but it was not making good contact a/c rust. I removed all the cables, wire brushed everything, reconnected with new washers and nuts, as they were rusty,and ALL WAS WELL. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:26 PM   #24

Model: Thor Windsport 29M
State: Florida
THOR #16121
I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone here might be able to answer a question regarding the disconnect solenoid. How do I determine if it is bad? When operating the switch I don't hear anything from the solenoid. The coach has been sitting for awhile and the batteries may be suspect but while on shore power there is no voltage at the battery connections at all. The inverter panel is dead. I do have 12v power in the coach for lights, etc. and I do have 110 for microwave, etc.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:39 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Sounds like your batteries are completed discharged.
You will need to charge the house batteries with an external charger.
The battery disconnect latching relay gets its control power from the house batteries.
It will not work if the batteries don't have the power to operate the relay.
Your SP is running your converter/charger which is currently suppling your DC loads but not charging the house batteries if the disconnect relay is open.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 06:50 PM   #26

THOR #16121
Thanks for the quick reply. Makes sense. Can I jump charge the batteries enough to get the solenoid to engage? The converter is not running which I assume also needs the solenoid to be engaged?
Old 02-11-2024, 07:25 PM   #27

THOR #16121
I was in a bad spot and needed to find a solution so I went ahead and got a jump to the house batteries and that engaged the solenoid. I am back on SP and it looks like they are charging at least the panel is showing 13.1. Hopefully the batteries were not too discharged and will come back. In any case this saved me some $65 in buying a solenoid that I didn't need. Thanks again.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:31 PM   #28

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
If both batteries were completely discharged, I’d remove them and take them to an auto parts store and have them load tested. Did you check the electrolyte level? They may be shot. Even deep cycle batteries don’t fare well to being totally didchrged.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:47 PM   #29

THOR #16121
Not sure what coach you have but the batteries in this thing are not something you change on the road. I will let them charge overnight on SP and see what I have. If I can't get at least 12v I will pull them as soon as I can.
Old 02-11-2024, 07:54 PM   #30

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankyKoot View Post
Not sure what coach you have but the batteries in this thing are not something you change on the road. I will let them charge overnight on SP and see what I have. If I can't get at least 12v I will pull them as soon as I can.
Mine are in compartment in front of RR tire. 1/2” socket & ratchet. 10 minute job to remove. Maybe yours are somewhere different.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:16 PM   #31

THOR #16121
Thanks folks but I got lucky. Once I got the solenoid to open the batteries where able to charge in 3 hours from close to dead and then on generator while on the road for and hour. Had a reading of 12.5 when stored which will hold till the weekend when I can bring it back home for an overnight charge. A few years ago I got advised to replace the house 12v with 6v golf cart batteries which tolerate a much deeper discharge. I guess it was good advice.
Old 02-12-2024, 11:38 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankyKoot View Post
Thanks folks but I got lucky. Once I got the solenoid to open the batteries where able to charge in 3 hours from close to dead and then on generator while on the road for and hour. Had a reading of 12.5 when stored which will hold till the weekend when I can bring it back home for an overnight charge. A few years ago I got advised to replace the house 12v with 6v golf cart batteries which tolerate a much deeper discharge. I guess it was good advice.
Just FYI: Electrical devices CLOSE or are SHUT to allow current flow. When they are OPEN (think - an open gap) there is no path for current to flow. So you got your disconnect SHUT, not open.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote