Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Awesome comercials! I love the VW bus.

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

.....cut.....

My commute is similar to your wife's and the Focus Electric with its meager 70 mile range worked perfectly for me (although since its my car the EV is usually the car we drive when we go anywhere and the Focus still worked out well). .....cut.....
I saw where Honda has a new electric car prototype designed from the ground up with 124-mile (200-km) range. For my needs, as a second car/vehicle, that may be a good compromise between adequate range and lower initial cost. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with much less range, and 200+ mile trips would find me in a gasoline-powered van anyway for the foreseeable future, so no need to spend money on larger battery capacity to extend range. I don’t recall the last time I drove longer than 75 miles round trip in my minivan. And 75 is to my son’s house and back where I could plug in if needed extra range while we visit.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
It all makes sense...but its like Facebook...can't get my arms around it yet and don't see a need for it. We're retiring to the beach this year. Daily driving probably will average <5 miles except for MH travels and the occasional jaunt to see the kids in NC and TN as well as other friends around the country. Probably take MH then also just because of the all-in-one convenience. I'll keep the jacked up diesel for years to pull the boat but can easily see where an EV...(uggg, did i really sat that)...might fit in some day. It's all about options. Seems like a "sissy car" to me right now.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #24

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It all makes sense...but its like Facebook...can't get my arms around it yet and don't see a need for it. We're retiring to the beach this year. Daily driving probably will average <5 miles except for MH travels and the occasional jaunt to see the kids in NC and TN as well as other friends around the country. Probably take MH then also just because of the all-in-one convenience. I'll keep the jacked up diesel for years to pull the boat but can easily see where an EV...(uggg, did i really sat that)...might fit in some day. It's all about options. Seems like a "sissy car" to me right now.
Yep, same here. I dont need to "buy" anything new since I work from home. But I guess in 10 years I might need to get something new. You enver know.

"Sissy car".... have you looked at the Tesla Model S or the Audi's Etron? Nothing sissy about them and they can spank most IC cars.

But the cool EV cars come at a price (right now). They need to sell a few 100 thousand "Sissy cars" for a few years for the cool EVcars to trickle down to the $30 - $40 k price range. Plus the demand for cool EV cars will be on the rise as time goes down.

"The times are a changing". (was that Bob Dylan?).
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 06-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #25

THOR #11130
The one I have seriously looked at (don't tell Chance) is the Jaguar I-Pace...if we were buying an EC today...this is it!! I would play loud muffler music from a Mustang through speakers mounted under the rear so no one would know it was electric.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #26

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The one I have seriously looked at (don't tell Chance) is the Jaguar I-Pace...if we were buying an EC today...this is it!! I would play loud muffler music from a Mustang through speakers mounted under the rear so no one would know it was electric.
I wont say a word. LOL.

Yep. Some Nascar engine sound tracks woud be nice too.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #27
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That I-Pace is pretty slick. Saw one at the last EV event I went to:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-09-16 13.59.51.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	17992

That also has a cool commercial:

Speaking of playing engine noises: Ford of Europe did make this commercial for the Focus Electric:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #28

THOR #11130
The I Pace actually has an engine sound you can turn on that coordinates with your throttle. From inside the car, it sounds like a real engine through the speakers.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:36 AM   #29

THOR #11130
Until the U.S. actually has an adequate infrastructure in place, the available miles per charge will only be half or less of the vehicle rating unless you have a known charging source at your destination...and then...have the time to sit around waiting on your car to charge back up. At this point, EV's are not good for anything more that a commuter for short runs. The best out here show 200 miles (+/-)...this only gives you a 75-100 mile "safe range".
Old 06-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #30

THOR #2121
A cousin drives his Tesla S with 85 kWh battery (was an early Tesla) from Orlando area to south Florida on a regular basis to visit family. If needed he can charge on Florida Turnpike in less than an hour while eating lunch or whatever. He installed a 50A plug in garage at destination so can now recharge overnight for trip back. He says he can make it door to door without charging.

He also mentioned the Tesla S now comes with a much larger battery. I was aware of 100 kWh but did not know they may have even larger one than that. He really loves the car, and I get why. It’s performance is incredible and looks great too.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM   #31

THOR #2121
Battery cost is the biggest factor. If electric car manufacturers can get price down to about $300 per kWh installed, then a motorhome could have up to 20 kWh of battery capacity installed for similar price of a diesel generator, and that’s allowing for recharging. With that much battery, owner could run two efficient A/Cs overnight with ease if boondocking. Efficiency of new 48VDC Air Conditioner is quite important to lower battery size and thus cost.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #32
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I think Tesla's still only have a 100kWh battery size maximum.

Using their supercharger's you can charge them up to 80% in about 20-30 minutes. Sure not as fast as filling a gas tank but still quick enough for a long road trip.

Even my Bolt can add about 120 miles in 40 minutes at a DC fast charge station (sadly Chevy limited the DC fast charge option to only 60kW on the Bolt--Tesla's Model 3 can charge as fast as 250kW!).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #33

THOR #2121
Jamie, I think you’re correct. Tesla increased range but with same 100 kWh battery by making car more efficient, which is even better. The claimed 370 miles of range is impressive by any standard. Also impressive is 0-60 MPH in 2.4 seconds.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/24/1...rcharger-200kw