Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2022, 01:28 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffThor325 View Post
I grew up in New Mexico and have been to 47 US states. While ambient temperature is a real thing, airflow is the true problem when it comes to the temperature inside of vehicles. All vehicles, not just RVs.
So when you get a chance to visit Texas, Louisiana & Florida you might think differently

I know what you talking about though because I have seen some home cooling systems that are very large fans that pull air throughout the house through the attic to get the air flow you reference. But not sure it is a solution for humidity which is the real comfort killer in heat?

FWIW you would have to keep windows open 24/7 to achieve that air flow, and I don't think I would like to always have to sleep with windows wide open in RV. I can't tell you how many RVs with very good prices I passed on because they only had 1 AC. Sometimes our coach is so kold, I turn off the fridge and open the fridge & freezer doors to save money on propane. They don't call me D Koldman for nothing

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 03:31 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 3401
THOR #25110
I have the same cooling issues on our 2018 3401. I had clear ceramic tint installed on all windows except to bathroom (won’t stick to the textured glass). I haven’t had a chance to try it in hot weather but an advantage is it is supposed to reject heat even when driving and you can’t put the front shade down.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:24 PM   #23

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I think one of the main cooling issues is the advent of “ducted” cooling. My unit came with one 13,500 btu Coleman Mach 3 blowing thru ducts. I did all the mods. Even installed the RV Airflow in the plenum. It helped but not in 95 degree high humidity. So I took the vent out over the kitchen and dropped a 2nd non ducted Coleman 13,500 btu Mach 3 in the hole. Sitting in Savannah Ga, in 98 degrees, no shade, at the Yemessee KOA, using only the new nonducted AC unit, I kept the inside temp at 75. Since I like it hang meat cold, I ran the other and kept it at 70 inside for 6 days in tha5 heat and humidity. My point is that the pursuit of ducting the AC for aesthetics you sacrifice air flow.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:37 PM   #24
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
One thing I found out after our front AC unit failed was just how dirty the AC cooling fins are. Check them. You have to remove the AC cover on the roof and the foam insulation. My rear AC fins were loaded with fine dust and dirt. I purchased a can of Dometic AC coil cleaner. Seven degree difference at the vent nearest the AC after cleaning. The fins looked brand new. Yes it was really dirty! Even if you gain two to four degrees, it is worth the time and $15 dollars for the gain in efficiency.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:58 PM   #25

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Fixed the plenum with AC gray tape, cleaned fins and someone recommended putting AC gray tape on roof unit. Took cover off and taped entire roof unit.
We now are cold in New Mexico or Arizona heat.
Can't have air below 72 even when 100 out or we freeze
Good luck
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:57 PM   #26

State: Florida
THOR #28565
I used a thermal camera to locate the hot spots in my previous Class A. Turns out there was no insulation behind the cabinets above the front of the cab. I could feel the heat radiating from that area.

I had purchased rockwool insulation, and was going to cut access holes in the back of the cabinets, and stuff the void full of insulation. Then my wife had a brilliant idea... We traded in our 8 year old RV for a new one. Not only is it better insulated, it uses two high efficiency A/C units. The air coming out is cold, the last ones were only ever cool.

Sucks being hot, hope you get it resolved.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:37 AM   #27

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
Our Aria 3901 won't cool down under 90 degrees with it 104 outside while traveling either. So we started to travel at night and start the ACs while going down the road as soon as the sun comes up. That way it stays "cooler" until we get to our destination and plug in ASAP to save on Fuel. Ours is black and holds the southwest heat, but insulating the windows and running our vents really helped also.

Good luck.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:18 AM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRVer View Post
Our Aria 3901 won't cool down under 90 degrees with it 104 outside while traveling either. So we started to travel at night and start the ACs while going down the road as soon as the sun comes up. That way it stays "cooler" until we get to our destination and plug in ASAP to save on Fuel. Ours is black and holds the southwest heat, but insulating the windows and running our vents really helped also.

Good luck.
Have you tried this?

On any trip where you know it will hit 90 degrees outside; turn on AGS with setpoint of 80 on both ACs.

Use regular cabin air to start drive when it hits 80 inside both ACs will come on full blast. You will freeze. If not; your ACs need to be checked

Our coach never goes above 80 and my wife freezes all the time 100 plus temps outside. I have to turn down the cabin air to balance or reduce air blowing. If we stop the genny continues to run. I never think of genny running as burning fuel, but much needed opportunity to get more hours on the generator. I run the genny for possible conceivable excuse and still struggle to get 90 hours per year.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #29

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
Looking through this post it does not look like fwQuay ever got back to say if any on the suggestions worked.
My question would have been, does it cool when parked??
If it does, it sounds like he may have hot air leaking in from the front cap, overpowering the output of the AC's.
My Allegro Bus when new had tihe opposite problem. It would not heat the coach when cold. I found cold air coming from under the dash. Filled all the holes in the firewall, under the hood. Then even the engine heater would heat the coach while under way.
Harry
Old 12-21-2022, 01:39 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTh View Post
Looking through this post it does not look like fwQuay ever got back to say if any on the suggestions worked.
My question would have been, does it cool when parked??
If it does, it sounds like he may have hot air leaking in from the front cap, overpowering the output of the AC's.
My Allegro Bus when new had tihe opposite problem. It would not heat the coach when cold. I found cold air coming from under the dash. Filled all the holes in the firewall, under the hood. Then even the engine heater would heat the coach while under way.
Harry
Excellent point, another One and Done poster.

I suspect his problem is magically resolved and given the RV Dealership found no problem, I suspect User error. As it was 108 degrees outside, he never said how hot it was inside RV when he started the drive. He would ideally allow the coach opportunity to cool down to reasonable temperature before driving. With said on that said, on the hottest days 100+ temp I can cool down within an hour with both ACs and no Cabin air, Windshield shade being down.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:17 AM   #31

State: Nevada
THOR #12329
here's what I do in havasu 120 degree s... when I take off I turn the dash ac on outside air,.. and crack open the bath roof vent... this pushes the hot air in the coach out.... once it cool down, I close the vent, and put the dash ac on rec.... this also helps the roof ac's to start cooling down quicker... gets freezing in my 3401 ARIA... on real hot days I put a fan on the floor in the rear of the coach ,... get the whole rv to an even temp...
Old 05-31-2023, 05:20 PM   #32

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK View Post
2019 Aria 3901. Yes, at 108 temps, unless we stayed proactive cooling the coach overnight and throughout the day, including shutting all the blinds, temps inside will be low 90s. If we are proactive, then we can get the inside temps feeling reasonable bit not great. 108 is tough to cool down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMCSW View Post
2021 Aria 3401- no problem in heat while moving. Never had to turn both units on. Our challenge was while at sites. We insulated the cabinets especially from as they back up to windshield. Then make sure to start cooling before it get hot.
this a problem with every Aria in hot weather... and it has something to do with how the roof ac's are installed... the transition and duct work are at fault... and thor won't help in any way,... this should be a recall, but,.. so many travel and use their coach in cooler weater... the roof ac's as installed are worthless....

My coach cooled down 20* cooler with both roof ac's off and 1 portable room ac setting by the driver seat.... I'm going to have to go up on the roof and pull the unit to see what they did....pretty sure it will be a hacked up mess...
Old 05-31-2023, 05:33 PM   #33

THOR #17765
I added rV airflow and it dramatically increased the airflow. But the main secret is to not let the sun/heat in to begin with. I Han custom fit Sunguard shades made for both driver & passenger windows along with the windshield. With refletix in the other windows we are able to get 80 in 95 degree, high humidity, sunshine at a campground. However, I like it meat hanging cold so I added another 13,500 rooftop, nonducted unit. These ideas won’t help while driving. We don’t have AGS so I run the generator and rooftop AC while driving if needed. The 2nd unit will only run on shorepower.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:40 PM   #34

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I added rV airflow and it dramatically increased the airflow. But the main secret is to not let the sun/heat in to begin with. I Han custom fit Sunguard shades made for both driver & passenger windows along with the windshield. With refletix in the other windows we are able to get 80 in 95 degree, high humidity, sunshine at a campground. However, I like it meat hanging cold so I added another 13,500 rooftop, nonducted unit. These ideas won’t help while driving. We don’t have AGS so I run the generator and rooftop AC while driving if needed. The 2nd unit will only run on shorepower.
pretty sure you don't have the same ac system as the newer aria coaches...
Old 05-31-2023, 08:16 PM   #35
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
here's what I do in havasu 120 degree s... when I take off I turn the dash ac on outside air,.. and crack open the bath . gets freezing in my 3401 ARIA... on real hot days I put a fan on the floor in the rear of the coach ,... get the whole rv to an even temp...
Quote:
this a problem with every Aria in hot weather... and it has something to do with how the roof ac's are installed... the transition and duct work are at fault... and thor won't help in any way,... this should be a recall, but,.. so many travel and use their coach in cooler weater... the roof ac's as installed are worthless....

My coach cooled down 20* cooler with both roof ac's off and 1 portable room ac setting by the driver seat.... I'm going to have to go up on the roof and pull the unit to see what they did....pretty sure it will be a hacked up mess...
So what changed between last year and now?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:46 PM   #36

THOR #17765
Quote:
pretty sure you don't have the same ac system as the newer aria coaches...
Keeping sun out and improving air flow is the same regardless of how much money was spent on the unit.
Old 05-31-2023, 09:53 PM   #37

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
This is true.
Getting the rig from 108 to 92 is about what normally can be expected.
Anybody want a cold beer??
I'll take one, and your spot on for start up...16* is a normal split,... but @ 92* return you should see about the same spit after some time ,... you should be in the low 80's after 4 or 5 hours... and should see 78 at some point,... but the real problem is direct sunlight on the side .... parked in the sun with my black coach the temp on the inside of the wall, where there was no glass was over 150*
Old 06-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #38

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
So what changed between last year and now?
what happened was this,... when we left we had both roof ac's on, and the dash ac running,... where we went it was cold in the mountains,.. but what happens now..... the day before we take off I pull the coach out of the garage and turn the ac's on... so it's cooled down before we leave... with it 100 degrees out both roof ac running, it was 102* inside, but was only 95 inside when I pulled it out...so the longer it set in the sun , the hotter it got.... when we left... after setting over night... the temp inside was the same as out side,... and thats with both roof ac's running...my dash ac works great and going across the desert,.. the dash blows so cold you can't have the vent pointing direct at you or you freeze..found that running the roof ac's it got hotter then if they were just off.. hopeful that fixing them will cool the coach,... but like said... being it's painted black I have my doubts

I also did a ceiling vent mod,. and got rid of the plastic ones...and put steel round ones..
Old 06-05-2023, 01:48 PM   #39

THOR #12329
here's the vents I used...they spread the air better and way more quiet...
also... with these vents, with just one ac on, the the air temp is the same front and rear..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0141[7496].jpg
Views:	29
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	42224  
Old 06-05-2023, 01:49 PM   #40

THOR #17765
What temperature air is coming out of your house ducts? Also, please fill us in on this “new” AC system in an Aria.