Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #18034
Tire mfg. dates

We have a 2018 Thor Chateau 31 ft. I was checking the tires for wear issues and noticed that the mfg. date on the tires was 2012!!!! How can this be possible? They were almost six years old before they hit the road! Anyone else check tire mfg dates?

Old 10-10-2020, 03:10 PM   #82

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Meyer View Post
We have a 2018 Thor Chateau 31 ft. I was checking the tires for wear issues and noticed that the mfg. date on the tires was 2012!!!! How can this be possible? They were almost six years old before they hit the road! Anyone else check tire mfg dates?
We went to a rv rally in Indiana in August of '13, when touring the Elkhart area we drove by a factory for class Cs, it's August so likely they are already receiving '14 model chassis's, their lot had minimum of 200+ Ford cutaway chassis, looked like an ocean of white chassis, with weeds up the mirrors awaiting for assembly, if you figure their quota is 8 to 12 completed rigs per day out the door they had several months worth already & the new models on the way. All of these had tires/wheels on them from Ford so In actuality some of those tires could of been a year old prior to putting on that chassis, it's now sat waiting assembly for a year, now the tires are 2 years old before it became a rv for sale.
Apparently that's why some folks say they have a chassis that's 1-2 years older than the rv is registered for.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #83

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Meyer View Post
Did you purchase the coach new?

Are all the tires the same date?

Interesting to say the least
Old 04-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #84

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
As an update to this thread, I ended up getting the General Grabber HD tires, 225/75R16C, C-rated with the load index 121/120, for my rear tires. I looked at some of the other C-rated tires in that size, and a lot of them are the rib type truck tires that don't have an all-season tread pattern. I decided on these partly because they are all-season C-rated tires, and also based on availability at the truck tire shop I like to use.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I have had a couple of rear tire blowouts, even though the tires were only a couple of years old without much wear, and at proper pressure. These big class C's are overloaded at the rear from the factory.

The front tires were replaced last summer with General Grabber HTS, LT225/75R16, along with a custom alignment. These have the load index 115/112, which is what the RV comes with from the factory. The front end is not too heavy, and I haven't had any front tire failures, so I think these will be fine. When they need replacing I'll probably replace them with C-rated tires.

We are planning a long trip around the country this summer -- over 6000 miles, so these new rear tires give me some peace of mind and will hopefully prevent any tire failures. I also replaced the rear differential oil, transmission fluid and filter, air filter, and generator oil recently. I'm very anal about maintenance anyway, but especially in preparation for this trip.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:30 PM   #85

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
As an update to this thread, I ended up getting the General Grabber HD tires, 225/75R16C, C-rated with the load index 121/120, for my rear tires. I looked at some of the other C-rated tires in that size, and a lot of them are the rib type truck tires that don't have an all-season tread pattern. I decided on these partly because they are all-season C-rated tires, and also based on availability at the truck tire shop I like to use.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I have had a couple of rear tire blowouts, even though the tires were only a couple of years old without much wear, and at proper pressure. These big class C's are overloaded at the rear from the factory.

The front tires were replaced last summer with General Grabber HTS, LT225/75R16, along with a custom alignment. These have the load index 115/112, which is what the RV comes with from the factory. The front end is not too heavy, and I haven't had any front tire failures, so I think these will be fine. When they need replacing I'll probably replace them with C-rated tires.

We are planning a long trip around the country this summer -- over 6000 miles, so these new rear tires give me some peace of mind and will hopefully prevent any tire failures. I also replaced the rear differential oil, transmission fluid and filter, air filter, and generator oil recently. I'm very anal about maintenance anyway, but especially in preparation for this trip.
How many miles did you average between blow outs? What's the mileage now? Did you change the diff oil yourself? There' no drain plug on these. You have to remove the cover and the tranny's a real treat to deal with too.

I run two bottles of fuel injector cleaner through e system every 10k miles (each treats 20g). Not sure how much it helps because I've done it since new. I did have 50k on my truck before using some and noticed a significant performance and idle behavior afterward, so it's part of it's 10k mi plan now .
Old 04-21-2021, 04:29 PM   #86

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
How many miles did you average between blow outs? What's the mileage now? Did you change the diff oil yourself? There' no drain plug on these. You have to remove the cover and the tranny's a real treat to deal with too.

I run two bottles of fuel injector cleaner through e system every 10k miles (each treats 20g). Not sure how much it helps because I've done it since new. I did have 50k on my truck before using some and noticed a significant performance and idle behavior afterward, so it's part of it's 10k mi plan now .

Looking at my notes, I actually had 3 flat rear tires.
The first time the inside driver's side went flat, not a blowout. The RV was less than 2 years old with about 33K miles on it. It was unknowingly driven with the flat tire for some distance, which caused excessive wear on the outer tire, so both left rear tires were replaced.

A couple of months later the inside right tire had a blowout and was replaced.

Then a year later the outer right tire a blowout. RV was 3 years old with 48K miles on it. Replaced both right rear tires.

I've also had some front tire issues, probably due to alignment. I got an alignment done at 9K miles before I installed a Saf-T-Plus steering controller and big swaybars, but noticed some uneven front tire wear about a year later and got another alignment done and replaced one of the front tires. Then another year after that the other front tire had some strange cupping and lots of road noise, so I replaced both front tires and got another alignment. Camber/caster bushings were installed to increase caster and to get the alignment numbers where we wanted them.

Mileage now is 64K miles.

I had the rear diff oil changed at the shop when I got the new rear tires installed. I was thinking of doing it myself by pumping the fluid out, but was glad to pay the shop to do it.

I replaced the trans fluid and filter myself. It wasn't hard, but it was a messy job.

Thanks for the tip on the fuel injector cleaner. I do this periodically on my street cars (but not very regularly), but I have never used it in the RV.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:44 PM   #87

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
I'll be ready to change tires in the coming year due to age vs miles.
The E450 is a 2016 chassis, so tires are now 5yrs old with 21K miles.

Will go with C-rated - Max Load Single = 3,195# each

Currently looking at:
Nexen Roadian CT8 HL all_ Season Radial Tire-225/75R16C 121R 10-ply
$129 is the best price I can find.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:44 PM   #88

THOR #6903
Are C rated heavy enough for your weight?

Seems like an 8-10 ply minimum for a loaded rig

Never ran anything lighter than an E on any of my HD pickups so just curious
Quote:

Old 04-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #89

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Are C rated heavy enough for your weight?

Seems like an 8-10 ply minimum for a loaded rig

Never ran anything lighter than an E on any of my HD pickups so just curious
These are all 10-ply E load rated tires. However, the standard LT tires are 115/112 rated and the C type are 120/121, so they have a higher load rating even though they are both classified as load range E. By C type I mean commercial truck tires, not load range C. The LT tires are usually designated as LT225/75R16 and the commercial type are 225/75R16C.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #90

THOR #6903
Quote:
These are all 10-ply E load rated tires. However, the standard LT tires are 115/112 rated and the C type are 120/121, so they have a higher load rating even though they are both classified as load range E. By C type I mean commercial truck tires, not load range C. The LT tires are usually designated as LT225/75R16 and the commercial type are 225/75R16C.
Never used the C designation I guess as all my tires were HD which started at E and higher

I always thought Commercial was 14 ply and up, not pickup tires. All my 19.5 were that

Brother blew out a few on his new rig until he went to 14 ply, just wasn't enough tire and got very hot. He did get his money out of his road side service however but he really didn't enjoy the wait time on the side of the road

the new load rating is interesting and I have 113 rated on my light weight F150. Going to be a learning curve for us grey beards. They will probably start messing with the 22.5's load ratings as well
Old 04-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #91

THOR #5837
I don't think there are any 225/75-16 tires that are more than 10-ply E load. At least I didn't find any. I've heard of some folks putting 17.5" wheels and tires on their class C's to get the heavier load rated tires.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:31 PM   #92

THOR #6903
Quote:
I don't think there are any 225/75-16 tires that are more than 10-ply E load. At least I didn't find any. I've heard of some folks putting 17.5" wheels and tires on their class C's to get the heavier load rated tires.
That is truly a problem and years ago I changed to some 19.5 and at the time wheels were available for the 8 bolt pattern

There isn't near the options for 17.5 as there are for 19.5

Commercial tires are often harder and have less tread, at least in the trailer category

If this is a unit you plan on keeping for a very long time I would look at the 19.5 wheels and tires down the road a bit when you need to exchange
Old 04-21-2021, 07:59 PM   #93

THOR #5837
I found these as a 17.5" option:
https://ricksontruckwheels.com/wheels-ford-e350450.php
These fit 215/75R17.5 load range G truck tires, which have a 3530 lbs (dual) rating.

The 115/112 load index tires are rated at 2484 lbs (dual).

The 121/120R tires are rated at 3169 lbs (dual).

So, going from the 112 to 120 rated tires gives me an additional 2740 lbs load capability rating.
The load range G would give another 1440 lbs load rating.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #94

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
These fit 215/75R17.5 load range G truck tires, which have a 3530 lbs (dual) rating.

So, going from the 112 to 120 rated tires gives me an additional 2740 lbs load capability rating.
Have you bought them yet?
Old 04-21-2021, 09:14 PM   #95

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Have you bought them yet?

I bought the General Grabber HD tires (see post #84 above), and got them installed on Monday.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:34 PM   #96

THOR #6903
Quote:

Good deal for sure
Old 04-21-2021, 10:46 PM   #97

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
I'll be ready to change tires in the coming year due to age vs miles.
The E450 is a 2016 chassis, so tires are now 5yrs old with 21K miles.

Will go with C-rated - Max Load Single = 3,195# each

Currently looking at:
Nexen Roadian CT8 HL all_ Season Radial Tire-225/75R16C 121R 10-ply
$129 is the best price I can find.
I bought the Nexxans for our 2016 Vegas. I like the higher load rating even though we under on both axles. Just got back from 2000 mile trip, smooth ride. Put them on back at xmas time. The OEM Michelins had 37k w/o issue other than 01/15 date code and cracks started to show at edge of tread.
Old 07-09-2021, 06:02 PM   #98

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I bought the Nexxans for our 2016 Vegas. I like the higher load rating even though we under on both axles. Just got back from 2000 mile trip, smooth ride. Put them on back at xmas time. The OEM Michelins had 37k w/o issue other than 01/15 date code and cracks started to show at edge of tread.
Good info.
However, just like bread, milk, and gasoline…the price has now gone up.
The Nexen Rodian CT8 - 225 75R 16C is now $148 each
Vs
General Grabber HD of same spec is $188 each
And,
Firestone Transforce CV HT now has a commercial truck tire with 121/120 rating.
It’s $156 per tire in most outlets.
Also,
Kumho Crugen HT51C is a 121/120 load tire with the 3,195# weight rating. Listed at $145 per tire

Bottomline…I’m just at the 5yr (based on tire date code) & 22k mile mark.
So I still have not pulled the trigger as my rig is parked under hard cover, tires protected from sun, and I drive it somewhere almost weekly.

(Just an FYI, I’ve got a car & a truck with 6 & 7 yr old tires. And I’m not planning on changing them out anytime soon due to low miles & parked in garage)
Old 07-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #99

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I well understand, if I had not seen cracking would have waited longer. The old tires are still on road on buddies trailer.

Just replaced tires on Suburban at 11 years due to cracking with likely less than 10k miles.

We use RV at least twice a month, every weekend in cooler weather for racing.
Old 07-11-2021, 06:35 PM   #100

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
I well understand, if I had not seen cracking would have waited longer. The old tires are still on road on buddies trailer.

Just replaced tires on Suburban at 11 years due to cracking with likely less than 10k miles.

We use RV at least twice a month, every weekend in cooler weather for racing.

Didn’t know there was such a thing as RV racing![emoji23]