Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2022, 08:35 PM   #141

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
If Garmin incorporated satellite imagery overlays it would be a true game changer... especially for "visual" RV route planning.

Unfortunately... not likely. Garmin has different marketing strategies than Google. Alphabet is an advertising company vs GPS navigation. Garmin has to fund their technology through sales of devices, whereas Google has vast ad revenue. If Garmin DID invest in imagery, the devices would likely be cost prohibitive... with little ROI.

As novel as Google Maps is, I seriously doubt you'll see aviation - or any serious navigation - replace Garmin technology. It just works.

Old 12-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #142
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I just had my 1st drive with the RV890 in the RV890 and Waze, the Bean Bag mount worked better than I thought. I got caught in traffic and the GV890 did not alert me, even though Traffic was own and connected to my Phone.

Frustrated, I eventually figured out how to turn the Traffic on manually so it showed, but as soon as I cleared the Traffic the screen did not go away, worse the next time I got in traffic, the Traffic view still did not pop up despite obvious slow downs

I had software bugs scored
Software Bugs L H 2 10

Unless I am missing something I will change it to
Software Bugs N H 0 10

This is about the 5th issue I have encountered with the software
And that’s why all the additional features you like are considered by many, including me, to be nothing more than a dangerous distraction. Turn off the phone and drive.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:12 AM   #143

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
12/3/2022 19:10:56 v3
See Post #102 On How to Read

Favorability Rating (H=Very Favorable & N=Not Favorable, or does not apply)
H = High = 10
M = Med = 6
L = Low = 2
N = None = 0

1. Costs Total Category Points 2 16

RV890 Waze RV890 Waze
Purchase Price N H 0 10
Accessories L M 2 6

2. Setup & Installation Total Category Points 46 48

RV890 Waze RV890 Waze
Setup M H 6 10
Download M M 6 6
Install M H 6 10
RV Profile H N 10 0
Touch Screen Size H L 10 2
Obstucted view L H 2 10
Mounting M H 6 10

3. Navigation Total Category Points 66 62

RV890 Waze RV890 Waze
Hazard Alerts L H 2 10
Traffic H H 10 10
Live Photos H N 10 0
Accuracy M H 6 10
Upcoming Sites H N 10 0
Police Tracking N H 0 10
Trip Planning M M 6 6
Voice Activation H M 10 6
Trip History M N 6 0
Redirection M H 6 10

4. Road Services Total Category Points 66 6

RV890 Waze RV890 Waze
Weather M N 6 0
RV CoPilot Friendly H L 10 2
Tire Services H N 10 0
Repair Services H N 10 0
Fuel Prices/Locations H N 10 0
No Ads H L 10 2
Campsites H L 10 2

5. Maintenance & Support Total Category Points 22 36

RV890 Waze RV890 Waze
Privacy L L 2 2
Phone Support H L 10 2
Map Updates L H 2 10
App Upgrades L H 2 10
Software Bugs N H 0 10
Online Support M L 6 2

Overall Favorability Rating 202 168
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:41 AM   #144

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
And that’s why all the additional features you like are considered by many, including me, to be nothing more than a dangerous distraction. Turn off the phone and drive.
Actually just the opposite. When the Traffic function works it automatically pops up to let you know of an upcoming slowdown and if you are about to be in heavy traffic that is NOT a distraction but a safety feature. In addition it shows the instantaneous graphics to show you how long the slow down is & how long it will last. What I was noting above, is that mine despite being connected to Garmin Drive, stopped popping up and off when traffic clear by itself. I eventually figured out that I can step through the button to get the Traffic dialog box; so I know it is suppose to work. I agree there is a distraction; but that is related to the Garmin Bug that forces me to have to reach; thus my frustration. I think I will have to reach out to Garmin on this next week unless someone can explain what I am missing. The answer is NOT to use the product as it was designed to do. I pay a lot of money for my phone every month and the T Mobile Home Internet not to mention the RV890, I intend on using both 24/7 and in tandem.

FWIW, take away the features of Garmin Drive that I value as a premium, I am not sure if the RV890 fairs much better than Waze? Doesn't matter because I use both and more importantly the RV890 was designed to work with the Phone.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 12-04-2022, 02:06 AM   #145

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
If Garmin incorporated satellite imagery overlays it would be a true game changer... especially for "visual" RV route planning.

Unfortunately... not likely. Garmin has different marketing strategies than Google. Alphabet is an advertising company vs GPS navigation. Garmin has to fund their technology through sales of devices, whereas Google has vast ad revenue. If Garmin DID invest in imagery, the devices would likely be cost prohibitive... with little ROI.
Excellent point and so true.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:55 AM   #146

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
When you add the waypoint, Garmin will ask if you want to add it as the NEXT STOP to your existing route, or add the END of your existing route. So you have control over where the waypoint is inserted into your route, unless you choose the last option which is always a crap shoot.
Maybe because my Garmin is old it does not have those options, only "Add to existing route" or "Start new route".
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:27 PM   #147

THOR #13058
Quote:

I had a few more drinks and want to add a disclaimer to my previous statement Garmin may not be advertising in the traditional sense one may think with Waze, but they are making money from their Marketing power which is a form of advertising.

i.e. These programs offered on my RV890 may be ways to increase revenues for Garmin.

1. Plan RV Services
2. Trip Advisior
3. History Channel
4. National Parks
5. iOverlander
6. KOA
7. Plan RV Parks
8. Ultimate Public Campgrounds
9. Foursquare
10. Banks & ATMs

So in many ways they may have more sales channels than Waze?
Old 12-05-2022, 02:02 AM   #148

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I think that's more of a "partnering" arrangement. Google/Waze has more of an "in your face" pop-up ad scheme. You're correct... and I agree it's still advertising. But again, Google is far more saturated, probably because ad sales/delivery is their primary business.

Navigation is a "side business" for Google. Notice that, unlike Garmin, Google/Waze will NOT allow you complete control of avoidances. While you can select "alternate" routing, the alternates are chosen and mapped by Google. Allowing complete control would violate Google's advertising model.

Although awkward, Garmin allows near complete control of route selection - using avoidances.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:48 AM   #149

THOR #13058
Quote:
I think that's more of a "partnering" arrangement. Google/Waze has more of an "in your face" pop-up ad scheme. You're correct... and I agree it's still advertising. But again, Google is far more saturated, probably because ad sales/delivery is their primary business.

Navigation is a "side business" for Google. Notice that, unlike Garmin, Google/Waze will NOT allow you complete control of avoidances. While you can select "alternate" routing, the alternates are chosen and mapped by Google. Allowing complete control would violate Google's advertising model.

Although awkward, Garmin allows near complete control of route selection - using avoidances.
In addition to alternate route selections, Waze does allow you control to avoid unpaved roads, difficult intersections, freeways, tolls etc. I never use it; but you can also make modifications using the Waze Map Editor. Based on the change or avoidance it may become part of the permanent map due to the social component of why Waze exist. I believe those changes are actually made on 3D image of actual terrain Map.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:20 AM   #150
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
In addition to alternate route selections, Waze does allow you control to avoid unpaved roads, difficult intersections, freeways, tolls etc. I never use it; but you can also make modifications using the Waze Map Editor. Based on the change or avoidance it may become part of the permanent map due to the social component of why Waze exist. I believe those changes are actually made on 3D image of actual terrain Map.
You can change WAZE community maps using the WAZE Map Editor, not add avoidances for your use.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:32 AM   #151

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You can change WAZE community maps using the WAZE Map Editor, not add avoidances for your use.
Agreed, but couldn't it depend on how you define avoidances for your use? For instance if Waze routed me continually down a street that was dead ended, couldn't I go into the Editor and make a note of some sort so that point on the street is avoided for my future use? The fact that it is reported to the community is the inherent benefit of Waze because as a whole; most all roads that should be avoided are noted over time by User.

Now if you wish to avoid a certain part of a normal street because it is were an X girl friend lives, then Waze may not be your tool of choice
Old 12-06-2022, 11:46 PM   #152

THOR #13058
Spoke to Garmin on issue where Traffic dialog box stopped popping up automatically during heavy traffic.

They agreed it was an issue and advise I need to uninstall the Garmin Drive and pairing with the phone, and then reinstall

But on the positive side, I noticed another difference when run RV890 and Waze at the same time.

Waze:
As you approach a right turn at intersection, Waze says "Turn Right on Street Name"

RV890:
As you approach a right turn, RV890 says "Turn Right at the Traffic Light"

This is interesting to me, and I will watch closer for Stop signs etc., but initial reaction is I think it is better the way Garmin is announcing. You don't have to worry about reading the street sign that may or may not be there, but just turn at the light.

Also, the large 8" screen is spoiling me. I tend to look at the phone less and less.