Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I think the Op is trolling us. Ask the question with no real info just to see how many will answer. Threads like this exhaust me.

But Ducky has the closest answer and posted it before I could.

Jerry

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:15 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I think the Op is trolling us. Ask the question with no real info just to see how many will answer. Threads like this exhaust me.

But Ducky has the closest answer and posted it before I could.

Jerry
Yep! A waste of electrons: the OP has not been back to this website since he/she posted the question. It's kinda hard to help someone that doesn't bother paying attention to responses to their question.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:58 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Why is it a waste? Anyone who is willing to read all these posts must have an interest even if it’s not the OP. I read lots of threads that I didn’t start. Including this one. And I don’t even have a noise!
Old 02-09-2021, 11:21 PM   #24

THOR #10065
I concur with JusJay. I have a 2018 Windsport. The noise is like a kid blowing into a 22 caliber bullet shell to make the high whistle. Happened right at the 55-60mph speed we are forced to drive in Kalifornia.

Much testing, finally found that taping a single "X" across the front grill with narrow duct tape disrupted the air flow and the sound was GONE. Thor replaced the grill with a different flow pattern under warranty. All fixed.

NOPE -- then in the very rare times it rains in Kalifornia, the exact same noise came back, but ONLY when there is active water/rain on the road. As soon as the road dries, sound gone! Go figure that out!

My Thor service writer actually called my WindSport a "Wind Song" as he saw this before.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:14 AM   #25

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Is this only on the ace v10. My axis v10 doesn’t do it. If Ford had a message about it, did they also issue a recall
It’s a different chassis than your Axis (F53 vs E350 or 450)
My Vegas doesn’t do it
Old 02-10-2021, 12:42 AM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Why is it a waste? Anyone who is willing to read all these posts must have an interest even if it’s not the OP. I read lots of threads that I didn’t start. Including this one. And I don’t even have a noise!
I agree. There's always someone other there who will get to thinking about something that they experienxed...
Old 02-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #27
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Because they have an interest in helping the OP resolve his problem and provide him the answers he couldn't find by searching the forum. This noise is well documented but apparently the OP either didn't put forth the effort to search for it or couldn't find it. I suspect the former since he couldn't put forth the effort to return to the Website to see if his question has been answered.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:24 PM   #28

Model: Hurricane 32a
State: Washington
THOR #18907
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrodmerkel View Post
So about that screeching noise from the front end when it's raining. After a LOT of research I found out that the sound does not come from the grill nor the wheels nor the windows. What is happening is the v-10 engine is inhaling water thru the air cleaner scoop. The filter gets wet, allowing air (in tiny spots ) to bypass the filter causing a horrible screeching noise when wet. The fix is simple. Go to home depot ,purchase a 3" ductwork elbow and duct tape it to the air cleaner scoop, so that the engine is drawing air from a higher point in the engine compartment. ford had a service note concerning this a few years ago. Hope this helps.
I am curious if anyone else has determined it is related to the air intake. This is the first time I have read this explanation?
I put screen behind my grill and it worked, but is the intake drawing moisture?
Old 02-10-2021, 05:29 PM   #29
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Belisle View Post
I am curious if anyone else has determined it is related to the air intake. This is the first time I have read this explanation?
I put screen behind my grill and it worked, but is the intake drawing moisture?
Nope. All previous solutions had to do with the grill. I can't see ab air filter, even if wet, vibrating at the frequency required to make that noise. The material is too soft.
Old 07-19-2023, 01:16 PM   #30

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #29522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusjay View Post
Let me see if i can re-create the noise for you. Your driving in the rain, at about 45mph there is a horrible screech coming from the front of the coach. You’ve check all the windows. Nothing seem to effect the sound other than slowing down!. If this fits the scenario then its most likely your grill material! Thor’s fix for the noise was to sent me a some new grill material to fit behind the original grill. It had much smaller openings and once i installed it the noise stopped!
I recently purchased a 2016 ACE 29.3. I drove it across country and heard this light screeching noise throughout the trip that I thought was the left front brake feeler hitting the rotor. Then it rained and it got really loud. After finding this thread I called Thor and the guy said that he knew what I was talking about but it doesn't affect the 2016, that it started with the 2018 models. He said the fix was a new grill and it is year and model specific so he could not help me.

After re-reading this thread, I see that Thor sent you some mesh or grill material. I am going to call back and ask again, but can you tell me what this material is and if I can just go buy it somewhere.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:04 PM   #31
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimg1680@aol.com View Post
I recently purchased a 2016 ACE 29.3. I drove it across country and heard this light screeching noise throughout the trip that I thought was the left front brake feeler hitting the rotor. Then it rained and it got really loud. After finding this thread I called Thor and the guy said that he knew what I was talking about but it doesn't affect the 2016, that it started with the 2018 models. He said the fix was a new grill and it is year and model specific so he could not help me.

After re-reading this thread, I see that Thor sent you some mesh or grill material. I am going to call back and ask again, but can you tell me what this material is and if I can just go buy it somewhere.
Most people describe the grill noise as a whistling noise and it has been around long before the 2018 model year. Many people just head down to their big box hardware store and purchase a small roll of screen material and attach it to the grill. Has the added benefit of keeping bugs out of the radiator.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:06 PM   #32

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A screen door protector(the punched metal you add to the bottom of your door)
Fits perfectly in an axis. I don't know about other Thor grills.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:55 PM   #33

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #29522
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Most people describe the grill noise as a whistling noise and it has been around long before the 2018 model year. Many people just head down to their big box hardware store and purchase a small roll of screen material and attach it to the grill. Has the added benefit of keeping bugs out of the radiator.
I will give that a try if I have no luck with Thor. Thank you!