Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2022, 12:00 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Washington
THOR #25618
Large slideout ?s: 1.Is this normal? 2.Is this the correct order?

Friends!

We're a month in to our nine-month adventure and are definitely enjoying the journey, bumps and all.

Okay, first: 2019 Thor Vegas 25.6 with the single very large slide. It's so heavy. When we push it out, the entire coach tips to the side...so we feel like in order to ultimately rest level, we have to UN-LEVEL the coach to compensate for how the slide is going to pull the driver side down. This doesn't seem like good design but in real life this is how it's working for us. Anyone experience this or have any comment?

Second: newbie question. We 1.park the RV, 2.push out the slide, 3.drop the stabilizers to lock in the back end. Is this the correct order, or should we be doing something different?

Finally, it always takes 90 seconds or so for the motor to move the slide in or out... it really works hard to get it going, then seems to operate more easily and properly... I wonder every time "is this the time it doesn't make it?" I shot a video at the link below. Is this others' experience with this large slide? In other words...is this normal? Do I have a bad or failing motor? Or is it just a really heavy hunk of metal and this is how it is?

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/se9y4texmz...deout.MOV?dl=0

Thank you all for any input!

Old 10-02-2022, 02:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It's a big slide and a wide slide so your time to move it is probably OK. It seems to stick at the beginning in the video but after it gets going it seems normal.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:26 AM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
THOR #17235
I have a 29m with a full wall slide and I ALWAYS lower all the jacks and level the coach BEFORE extending the slide and I suggest you do the same. This should keep your slide pretty level when extended. By leveling and stabilizing the coach before you extend the slide you should have good alignment between the slide and the chassis making it much easier for the slide motors to move the slide. In your video it sounded like you pushed and released the slide button more than once at the beginning. If you did, I suggest you not do that anymore. Instead just push and hold the button once until the slide is fully retracted/extended and the motors have stopped. Then continue holding the button in for an additional 3-4 seconds before releasing.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:30 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I have a Magnitude SV34 with a heavy, full-wall slide and will provide you with some information..... some of which you won't like to hear.

First and foremost, as Vibeman said, always level your coach first.... especially if you are using Auto-Level and you are not manually leveling. Leveling causes twisting and torquing of the chassis and it is not good for the slide mechanism if the slide is out when leveling. He is also correct about allowing the slide to fully extend or retract when holding the button and then holding it for 2 - 3 seconds after the motors stop to keep them synced.

I always manually level and the slide and maybe just ever so slightly higher on the slide side so when I put the slide out the coach is about dead-level.

Now the part you won't want to hear.......

Thor's full-wall slides are a disaster for 80% of their coaches that use a full-wall, heavy slide. The Schwintek mechanism is fine for small slides like a bedroom slide but it is a horrible design for heavy and large slides. The design is bad and the components are not robust enough for slide operation to be smooth and reliable in 80% of these large slide applications. The primary weaknesses are the motor mounting and securing and also the use of nylon / plastic V-rollers under the tracks. Even the pinion gear is really undersized.

My slide sounded very similar to yours but not quite as bad. It would not stick like yours but you could hear the motors struggling to open and close it and it moved very slowly. Now these large slides use the 500:1 motors so they will open and close slower than the smaller slides using the 300:1 motors but the 500:1 still struggles because of the Schwintek design and the size of these slides.

After a couple slide issues in the first 18 months of ownership and having to say the rosary every time I would about to extend or retract the slide, I had the Schwintek slide mechanism replaced with the Vroom Slide System in October 2021. After a year with the Vroom system the slide has performed flawlessly.... and it sounds so much better. The slide motors do not struggle to move the slide and it moves more smoothly and extends and retracts more quickly. I have a thread and there are several others about the Vroom slide system you can read.

When I had the Vroom Slide System installed they used my motors and controller. They retrofitted the existing motors for mounting in their mechanism. They were designing their own motors and controller last October and I was going to go back to have their motors and controller installed this year.

I was going to cancel my appointment for last week since the slide has been working great. Plus I had Vroom retrofit two spare motors for me and I carry a spare controller anyway so I have spare parts for what could most likely have a problem in the future. They asked me to come in anyway just for a 1-year check-up plus they told me they have learned a few things about Thor full-wall slides in the past year.

I took my coach in since I was in the area and also because I thought it would be good to see how their system was wearing after a year of use. They removed the seals and inspected their mechanism and it was perfect. No signs of abnormal wear. It was clean and no signs of wear. However, they did find a problem they are seeing with a lot of Thor big slides they are workin on. They found one of my adjustable rollers under the slide floor had collapsed and it was causing my slide to drag.

I was surprised because my slide has been working perfectly and I have extended and retracted it dozens of times in the past year. I'm in the middle of a 7-week trip and the slide has been working great. They also inspected my rollers last year and they were fine and just needed adjustment. However, Vroom said they have been seeing these rollers fail because of the size and weight of these big slides coupled with Thor's poor quality parts and workmanship.

They replaced both of my adjustable rollers and installed all new seals. It took them about 4 hours and to my surprise the slide moved a little faster after they were done. I'm convinced if I still had the Schwintek mechanism installed, I would have been having a lot of slide issues.

I suspect you could have some slide floor roller issues that's causing your slide to drag. This would cause it to move slowly and even stick a little. If you keep using it that way for very long, I think you will see your Schwintek mechanism start having major issues as well. There is nothing worse than having a slide fail when it is extended.

If you are under warranty (which I assume your not being a 2019), I would get your slide looked at ASAP. However, if you are out of warranty, I would seriously consider making an appointment with Vroom Slide Systems to have their system installed if you plan to keep the coach several years and use the slide a lot. It will cost you about $3500 but it is the best possible investment / upgrade you could make for your coach. The bad news is they are booking out to June 2023. Although they have started adding some RV Repair Shops who can install their system now. They have a new dealer in the Dallas area (Patriot RV Service).

Just listening and watching your video is a concern for me based on what I have learned about Thor full-wall slides the past three years. You could be lucky and nothing happens but based on what I see and hear in your video, I think you are playing Russion Roulette with it.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:38 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I am concurring with all of the above.

Few other points of reference because when I was a newbie just s few months ago the slide was one of my biggest fears in owning an RV. I had the luxury of administering techniques learned from this site and perhaps the fact that I would end up by SOB. But a large single wall slide on a 30 ft RV is a large single wall slide.

1. I always have extra power ( Shorepower connector, generator running or engine running) With Brake set; my key must be at minimum accessory position or it is a no go
2. My coach is always level first. During my PDI the dealer say level, extend the slide and optionally level again. I use the Camco electric level indicator and once confirmed level; the extended slide has no impact; so I never have needed to level again because.
3. When I do start to extend or retract, I NEVER LET THAT BUTTON GO. I go all way to the end until I hear the motor changes pitches which is 2 - 3 seconds when it has visually stopped. I cannot tell you how many times, I started to retract and the bathroom door was wide open Yes, I complete the full close process, and the extend again in full, shut the bathroom door and retract again in full.
4. I never thought about the time it takes to extend, so I ran out and timed it. 17 secs.

I love your post and video, nicely done. One day I will have to learn to post the video
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 01:42 PM   #6

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Judge is giving you a worst case scenario. My suggestions are similar to above. Level first. If the entire weight is on the levelers, your slide should not cause it to drop on one side unless on a soft surface. Next, when extending or retracting, once you press the button, do not release until 3 to 5 seconds after it’s fully in or out. You do not want those motors to become unsynced. Get some dry lube and spray the gibs (many YouTube howto videos). Keep the seals conditioned. Keep the sides of the slide waxed.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:47 PM   #7

Model: Fourwinds 24F
THOR #9511
I have a 2017 Class C with almost the same slide layout as your coach. On shore power or genset it takes about 30 seconds for my slide to go in or out, and it works smoothly with no stops and starts like your video has. On battery power it takes a little longer.

From my perspective, your slide seems to have excess drag. A couple of things can cause this.

1) The rollers under the slide are damaged or not touching the bottom of the slide. With the slide open look for 6" metal strips under the slide. Pull back the seal where the strip goes into the coach and look to see if the rollers (there are multiple strips) are touching the bottom of the slide. The slide needs to rest on them. Two of mine were not and I used a 7/16" socket to adjust them to touch the slide then an additional 1/4 turn.

2) If your utilities are under the dinette bench then make sure they are not falling into the slide gap or between the floor and the bottom of the slide. If they do then they can bind under the slide. Propane line, flexible water line, electrical lines on mine are under the bench.
Old 10-02-2022, 01:53 PM   #8

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
Judge is giving you a worst case scenario. My suggestions are similar to above. Level first. If the entire weight is on the levelers, your slide should not cause it to drop on one side unless on a soft surface. Next, when extending or retracting, once you press the button, do not release until 3 to 5 seconds after it’s fully in or out. You do not want those motors to become unsynced. Get some dry lube and spray the gibs (many YouTube howto videos). Keep the seals conditioned. Keep the sides of the slide waxed.

Given the OP posted a video with sound my assessment is not a worse case scenario. You can see his slide seems to stick and I can tell from the sound of the motors it is laboring. I have dealt with this before so I do have some experience in the matter.

Also, your recommendation of using lube is incorrect.... even a dry lube. If you read the LCI / Schwintek Owners Manual, Troubleshooting Manual and Service Manual (all of which I have read), there is no mention of using lubricants of any kind. As a matter of fact, the following is straight from the LCI / Schwintek Owners Manual:

NOTE: No grease or lubrication is necessary, and in some situations may be detrimental to the long-term dependability of the system.

LCI recommends keeping the mechanism clean. That is exactly what Vroom recommends as well.... no lubricants and keeping it clean..... and they actually told me I was doing an excellent job of keeping the mechanism clean, which is key for optimal performance.

There is likely an issue with the OP's slide given his video and it is beyond the motors being out of sync. He either has something under his slide floor binding or his rollers are seriously out of adjustment or failing. He could also have an issue with his V-rollers or bearing block.... all very probable given his coach is four seasons old.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:10 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Judge,

The previous poster specified the lubrication for the "gib" (not the tracks).

As per the LCI web site:

https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out

I've seen earlier LCI documentation and videos that recommended the tracks be lubed but those were recinded.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:18 PM   #10

THOR #12751
Large slideout ?s: 1.Is this normal? 2.Is this the correct order?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N3EQF View Post
Judge,

The previous poster specified the lubrication for the "gib" (not the tracks).

As per the LCI web site:

https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out

I've seen earlier LCI documentation and videos that recommended the tracks be lubed but those were recinded.

Again, I have the three manuals that LCI Support sent me (Owners, Troubleshooting and Service). There is no mention to lubricate the gibs either. When I asked the Tech he said keep everything clean and don’t lubricate anything.

Maybe that has since changed but my comments are based on a discussion I had one LCI Tech and three LCI documents he sent me two years ago when I was having issues.

Here is the section on System Maintenance from the Owbers manual and even though it says "gear tracks", the Service / Rebuild Manual and Troubleshooting Manual do not mention lubricating the gib, bearing block or V-rollers as part of installation procedure, regular maintenance or troubleshooting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 8.30.34 AM.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	39633  
Old 10-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Note the CAUTION Thor MC supplied sticker at the very top of the wall above the coach control panel. "Unit must be level with the jacks down position before operating the slide rooms."

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020_0807_091141AA.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	39635  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
I have a 29m with a full wall slide and I ALWAYS lower all the jacks and level the coach BEFORE extending the slide and I suggest you do the same. This should keep your slide pretty level when extended. By leveling and stabilizing the coach before you extend the slide you should have good alignment between the slide and the chassis making it much easier for the slide motors to move the slide. In your video it sounded like you pushed and released the slide button more than once at the beginning. If you did, I suggest you not do that anymore. Instead just push and hold the button once until the slide is fully retracted/extended and the motors have stopped. Then continue holding the button in for an additional 3-4 seconds before releasing.

X2. Vegas 25.6. Exactly what we do. If the manual leveler shows slide side down..we drive up on 1 or 2 blocks max on slide side. Put stabilizers down. Extend slide always pushing button on bmpro. Then the passenger jack will raise a little and we lower. Everything level
Old 10-02-2022, 06:42 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Again, I have the three manuals that LCI Support sent me (Owners, Troubleshooting and Service). There is no mention to lubricate the gibs either. When I asked the Tech he said keep everything clean and don’t lubricate anything.

Maybe that has since changed but my comments are based on a discussion I had one LCI Tech and three LCI documents he sent me two years ago when I was having issues.

Here is the section on System Maintenance from the Owbers manual and even though it says "gear tracks", the Service / Rebuild Manual and Troubleshooting Manual do not mention lubricating the gib, bearing block or V-rollers as part of installation procedure, regular maintenance or troubleshooting.
I am no Judge, but this looks like Kase Klosed to me

FWIW: Powers Gear by Lippert manual says the system has been designed to require very little maintenance, but it does say to apply a dry lubricant to prevent or stop squeaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Note the CAUTION Thor MC supplied sticker at the very top of the wall above the coach control panel. "Unit must be level with the jacks down position before operating the slide rooms."

My SOB manual nor wall sticker calls this out, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to extend slide and coach not level I do have warning stickers all over the wall and the manual warning to ALWAYS make sure the path is clear of people and objects BEFORE and DURING operation.

It would be nice if someone with exact same coach could tell how long it takes for theirs to extend? If mine was taking 90 secs, it would be in a shop with or without warranty, and if the latter is true on my new coach, I would follow the Judge's order and get it done and over with without going a year or so with headaches.

I am gonna document the 17 secs extend time so in the event it starts to take longer; I will have a benchmark.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-02-2022, 08:04 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
About 20 seconds out and 17 seconds in and I hold the button 5 seconds 100% of the time
Zero slide issues 25,000 miles over 25 states and weather conditions..hope it lasts
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:40 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
About 20 seconds out and 17 seconds in and I hold the button 5 seconds 100% of the time
Zero slide issues 25,000 miles over 25 states and weather conditions..hope it lasts
Wow 3 seconds faster coming in than being extended... wonder if that is because after a few beers; the retract measured time is prone to operator error.

Nonetheless 20 seconds more like it, I would think anything over 25 - 30 sec would suggest a problem, or more beer required for improved reading
Old 10-04-2022, 02:19 AM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #25618
Boy oh boy oh boy.

First chance to get back to this thread and see all your replies.

Have not yet read through all, only very quickly skimmed, but wanted to be sure to say THANK YOU for taking the time to respond.

I'm sure I'll find a lot of helpful information and possible direction in here—some of which I may not like as one early responder said. But we are where we are and we have what we have and we need to make it work.

Again thank you and I'll certainly be checking back for other input in the coming days & weeks.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:35 AM   #17

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBecker View Post
Boy oh boy oh boy.

First chance to get back to this thread and see all your replies.

Have not yet read through all, only very quickly skimmed, but wanted to be sure to say THANK YOU for taking the time to respond.

I'm sure I'll find a lot of helpful information and possible direction in here—some of which I may not like as one early responder said. But we are where we are and we have what we have and we need to make it work.

Again thank you and I'll certainly be checking back for other input in the coming days & weeks.
I’ve now watched your video several times. I have a couple of more thoughts. First, you should first level the coach before extending the slide. That way gravity is not working against you. I’m wondering if you’re running the slide before plugging into the pedestal. If not, and my slides won’t extend with the engine running, at 3+ years the batteries may be a little weak and not supplying consistent juice to the motors causing them to lose power (?). Yes the motors are straining. That’s a huge, long, wide, heavy slide. I’d like to know if it operates any differently when first level, on shore power. And I think in other threads, Judge has mentioned some larger slides have 500:1 motors instead of 300:1. 500:1 would move at a slower speed.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:39 AM   #18

THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

Posted on LCI site 04/2020

https://store.lci1.com/blog/quick-ti...ut-maintenance

In this video LCI does not discuss lubing the gibs. Tons of independent videos do however. IMHO the gibs need lube. The tracks do not. And yes, Judge, I don’t think it’s a matter of “if” they will fail. Only “when”. And lubing the gibs may extend the when.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:33 PM   #19

THOR #13058
[QUOTE=Jimbo56;363153 If not, and my slides won’t extend with the engine running, at 3+ years the batteries may be a little weak and not supplying consistent juice to the motors causing them to lose power (?). Yes the motors are straining. That’s a huge, long, wide, heavy slide. I’d like to know if it operates any differently when first level, on shore power. [/QUOTE]

Since some coaches don't operate slides with engine running, can those coaches also operate the slide if genny is runny? Point is I never operate on my batteries alone although I know I could.

Question: Is it possible to reconfigure the controller or wiring from chassis such that controller will ONLTY OPERATE period if Parking Brake is set? I find it odd that slide cannot be extended with engine running.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBecker View Post
Friends!

We're a month in to our nine-month adventure and are definitely enjoying the journey, bumps and all.

Okay, first: 2019 Thor Vegas 25.6 with the single very large slide. It's so heavy. When we push it out, the entire coach tips to the side...so we feel like in order to ultimately rest level, we have to UN-LEVEL the coach to compensate for how the slide is going to pull the driver side down. This doesn't seem like good design but in real life this is how it's working for us. Anyone experience this or have any comment?

Second: newbie question. We 1.park the RV, 2.push out the slide, 3.drop the stabilizers to lock in the back end. Is this the correct order, or should we be doing something different?

Finally, it always takes 90 seconds or so for the motor to move the slide in or out... it really works hard to get it going, then seems to operate more easily and properly... I wonder every time "is this the time it doesn't make it?" I shot a video at the link below. Is this others' experience with this large slide? In other words...is this normal? Do I have a bad or failing motor? Or is it just a really heavy hunk of metal and this is how it is?

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/se9y4texmz...deout.MOV?dl=0

Thank you all for any input!
Sequence:
1 - Park the rig
2 - Have it level using the leveling jacks.
3 - Have the engine and/or generator and/or power cord on/connected
4 - put the slide out

NEVER MOVE THE SLIDE OUT IF THE MH IS NOT LEVEL BY THE LEVELING JACKS

On the three traxx system, lubricate the U channels on the racks with a dry lube lubricant every other trip.

If after you have level the MH with the leveling jacks the slide is still able to sink that side down, you are in a too soft ground area - move to another place or put something under the jacks so they will not sink...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote